This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
connor's profile picture

email network routers

Started by connor, 19 April 2012 - 09:01 PM
connor #1
Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:01 PM
i want to add a network command that will cuase the computer on my email network to use other computers on the network to send to message to the defined network computer. such as makeing a wireless modem reach booster command. (total cradit goes to nitrogenfingers on youtube) here is the email network program. if you get it fixed please post the programs file's

oh and he is'nt going to post a fix i already asked him 5 times. ok.
Luanub #2
Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:28 PM
Whats wrong with it? Do you get an error code? A function not working properly?
Advert #3
Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:20 AM
You're better off asking nitrogenfingers himself to fix this, as he made the program.

Also note that this isn't a request forum. I'll leave this thread open, for now.

I think what you're trying to do is possible, but I'm not quite sure how to explain it.

(your computer) <----> [(router), <---> (router), ...] <------> (email server)
If you want to do it like the above setup, then you'll need to create some router software, or find some on the forums.

After that, you'll need to make an interface program, or modify the email program(s) so they'll work properly with the routing system. You could alternatively make a 'host' program that'll convert the routing system's messages to appear like normal rednet_message events (you'd run the host program kind of like monitor: the host program would run the email client/server, capture all rednet_message events, and translate them so they come from the right ID (not the router's ID), etc.). This could get complicated, though.
connor #4
Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:42 AM
well you know how the modem has only a range of 50 blocks well i want to make a extension to the software where the mailclient sends the message to the nearest router or mailserver and if the router recieves the message i want it to send the message to either the nearest router that is connected to the mailserver or a router(s) that is connected to the mailserver or to send it to that router and so on till it reaches the mailserver and then for the mail server to send it to the mailclient or router(s) that is connected to the mailclient that i am trying to send the message to.

baisically i want the mailclient to be connnected to the mailserver so the mailserver can send the message to the other mailclient through router(s).
connor #5
Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:55 AM
and i dont really know at all really anything about programming with lua. i did program (SOME) with C++
je06 #6
Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:32 PM
i don't now how to program all of the stuff like if the computer or server is in 50 blocks but i do know how to relay to message if you can have it relay the message is the computer that is out of rang and have a computer receive the computer id of who's computer id you want to send a message to.
Code:
message = rednet.receive()
rednet.send(Computers Id Here, message)