This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
mtwiscool's profile picture

wired modem to redstone?

Started by mtwiscool, 24 June 2013 - 09:50 AM
mtwiscool #1
Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:50 AM
is they anytype of way to convret wired modem to redstone and no i don't care about speed.
because i want to have a more relistic setup rauther then the unlimited speed modem.

please help
Zudo #2
Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:59 AM
Do you mean using binary? (The binary data pulsing?)
mtwiscool #3
Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:20 PM
maybe.
if it can be converted from and to moden api
Zudo #4
Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:52 PM
This is possible! You need someone cleverer than me though :)/>
Bomb Bloke #5
Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:19 PM
I gather this was done before the rednet API as we know it know was introduced. Bundled cables were used.

But it's not simple. Even if you're using two bundled cables between only two computers (so each gets its own to transmit over), you've got to design your own sending protocols and methods for flow control. Reduce the amount of cables and the flow control only gets more complex. Add additional computers and it becomes more complex still.

But if you really wanted, you could have a few computers communicate over a single pile of redstone dust.
Zudo #6
Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:31 AM
Yeah, i saw many videos of that kind of thing.
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:19 PM
As an example, take a look in my programs (in signature) at the RedTransfer program (first one in the programs spoiler). it is designed (at the moment) to send files across redstone dust between computers, the algorithm used to do this could be used for your use. it converts strings of data into redstone pulses.