This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
maldridge's profile picture

Path to lua programs in server

Started by maldridge, 02 July 2013 - 08:52 PM
maldridge #1
Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:52 PM
Title: Path to lua programs in server

not sure if this goes here, but:

I am working with the new tekkit version released a short while ago (blue space style logo) and in the previous version there was a nice server side folder where I could drop files and have them be in the ROM on each machine. I ran a recursive find on my entire tekkit tree and could find no such folder (I searched for "alongtimeago", a file that exists in rom, and nowhere else). If someone can tell me where this path has gone, or where I should create a folder, I would greatly appreciate it.
Cranium #2
Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:33 AM
Split to new topic.

If you want to run alongtimeago, you can simply run: shell.run("rom/programs/secret/alongtimeago")
Pinkishu #3
Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:36 AM
Split to new topic.

If you want to run alongtimeago, you can simply run: shell.run("rom/programs/secret/alongtimeago")

imo he wants to know where to drop lua files on the server so they are in the ROM of all computers on the server

dont' the newer CC versions keep their lua folder in the zip file?
Cranium #4
Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:38 AM
Yes they do, but it can be split to its own folder labelled 'computercraft'
MysticT #5
Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 AM
As Pinkishu said, the lua folder (where the rom is) is now inside the zip (in older versions you needed to unzip, that's why you had a folder). But you can still add files to the rom (or override existing ones). Just make a folder in mods, called ComputerCraft, inside that another one called lua, and then one called rom. The path would be something like .minecraft/mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom (not sure what the path is for tekkit, but it should be something like that).
albrat #6
Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:03 AM
the path for the technic launcher is " .techniclauncher/{teknik - mod pack}/mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/programs/secret/alongtimeago"

The zip file containing computercraft now is the entire pack in zipped form. (it runs from the zip)
There are two ways to install, the most common now being drag and drop the zip into the mods folder. Uncommon way is to extract the zip into "ComputerCraft" folder in the mods folder. (you can change the rom folder in the zip or extract (extract is easier though))
maldridge #7
Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:58 PM
hmm, no dice.

I created the path inside the server mod folder, chown'd it to the server's user and stuck a few test files in it, and it is not available to the in game computers. I have a folder marked OCSLua, does that figure into any of this?

I have also restarted the server after making config changes.
Lyqyd #8
Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:32 PM
What does the folder structure in mods look like?
Shazz #9
Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:49 PM
hmm, no dice.

I created the path inside the server mod folder, chown'd it to the server's user and stuck a few test files in it, and it is not available to the in game computers. I have a folder marked OCSLua, does that figure into any of this?

I have also restarted the server after making config changes.

There should be a zip file inside the 'mods' folder named 'ComputerCraft.zip' (or similar). You need to extract the contents of that zip file into a folder called 'ComputerCraft' inside 'mods' folder and delete (or back up) the zip file. Then you can drop files into 'mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/programs' and it should be available on all computers. Hope this helps!
maldridge #10
Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:12 PM
here is the structure of mods/

adventurecraft@GutsOfMars:~/Tekkit$ ls mods
[1.5.1]bspkrsCorev2.02.zip			  InventoryTweaks-1.54b.jar
AdditionalPipes2.2.0.Tekkit.jar		 ironchest-universal-1.5.1-5.2.4.368.zip
AnObsidianPlate-v1.1.zip				MineFactoryReloaded-2.5.4-665.jar
appeng-rv10-l.zip					   ModularPowersuits-0.6.0-444.jar
backpack-1.7.8-1.5.1.zip				MPSA-0.2.3-110_MPS-422.jar
BuildCraft-1.5.1-3.5.0.Tekkit.jar	   mystcraft-uni-1.5.1-0.10.3.00.zip
ChickenChunks 1.3.2.5.jar			   NetherOres-2.1.3-60.jar
ComputerCraft						   OCSLua
ComputerCraft1.52.zip				   OmniTools-3.1.2.0.jar
dimensional-anchor-54.0.0.jar		   OpenCCSensors-0.1.5e.jar
DimensionalDoors-1.5.1R1.3.5RC3-61.zip  StevesCarts2.0.0.a109.zip
ee3-universal-pre1g.jar				 ThermalExpansion-2.4.1.0.jar
EnderStorage 1.4.2.4.jar				tradebooth.0.3.zip
GregsLighting-1.8.1-7.jar			   weaponmod
immibis-core-54.0.2.jar				 WeaponMod.zip

I assume that the folder will supersede the zip? – The computercraft folder is one that I created.
Shazz #11
Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:17 PM
You can go ahead and delete ComputerCraft1.52.zip
Lyqyd #12
Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:18 PM
Edit: please ignore the above poster unless you've also extracted the zip into the ComputerCraft folder.

Yes, that is correct. Inside the ComputerCraft folder should be a "lua" folder, and inside that, a "rom" folder. Inside that, two folders ("apis" and "programs") should be where you place the files you wish to add. Following that, you should be able to use Lua files placed inside. If that still doesn't work, please start the server, place a new computer, verify in-game that the computer cannot find the new files in the rom directory, then stop the server and copy and paste the console log here or to pastebin.
maldridge #13
Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25 PM
okay, I did that, but now the in game terminals say "cannot mount lua/rom"

edit, silly mistake, I forgot to make the folder readable to the server user. It all works now, thanks for the howto guys!
Shazz #14
Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:46 PM
okay, I did that, but now the in game terminals say "cannot mount lua/rom"

edit, silly mistake, I forgot to make the folder readable to the server user. It all works now, thanks for the howto guys!

You're welcome and good luck with your server!