This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
CCJJSax's profile picture

Copy Computercraft string into Windows clipboard.

Started by CCJJSax, 13 July 2013 - 07:05 PM
CCJJSax #1
Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:05 PM
Is it even possible? I want to be able to put in my email to have a bug reporting section in one of my programs and have the user simply go to their email program/web provider, and just ctrl+v my email into the send location. make it as inviting to help me improve my programs would be awesome. I plan on putting these programs out to the public so people who don't know computercraft can experience it and reap the benefits of it's epicness.

ps, I know that is also like an invitation for trolls > :(/> and such… but I can block bad email accounts.

edit: that frown was supposed to be :angry:/> lol
Edited on 13 July 2013 - 07:24 PM
Grim Reaper #2
Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:16 PM
The only way that I can think of which would allow you to do something like this would be to save what you want to copy to some file and then open it on your computer using Windows, not ComputerCraft.
CCJJSax #3
Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:27 PM
The only way that I can think of which would allow you to do something like this would be to save what you want to copy to some file and then open it on your computer using Windows, not ComputerCraft.

Is there any way you can think of to execute a file using computercraft? I doubt it, you had a better than I did (nothing) but it still doesn't seem like it'd be as easy as it automatically copying to the clipboard.
Grim Reaper #4
Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:59 PM
Unfortunately, the mod is set up so that you can only operate inside the game and the disk space provided to a specific computer created by the mod. The way the mod is built prevents people from doing things like what you've mentioned above because those things could potentially be malicious, sorry.
CCJJSax #5
Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:16 PM
Unfortunately, the mod is set up so that you can only operate inside the game and the disk space provided to a specific computer created by the mod. The way the mod is built prevents people from doing things like what you've mentioned above because those things could potentially be malicious, sorry.

That's true. It's a bummer for people who actually want to make things better and easier though. Thanks for the help. :)/> I appreciate it.
Grim Reaper #6
Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:22 PM
If you're familiar with PHP and don't mind going through quite a bit of trouble of setting up a webserver to host your script, you could write a PHP script to communicate with your computer in-game and do whatever it is you want outside of the game.
CCJJSax #7
Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:38 PM
If you're familiar with PHP and don't mind going through quite a bit of trouble of setting up a webserver to host your script, you could write a PHP script to communicate with your computer in-game and do whatever it is you want outside of the game.

Yeah, that is probably a lot of trouble for just one little thing. Thanks for the idea though.
albrat #8
Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:18 AM
could you use the http interface and setup IIS on your computer with edits in your hosts file to redirect a webaddress to your local computer on 127.0.0.1

seems a bit long winded but it might work.
Zudo #9
Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:02 PM
could you use the http interface and setup IIS on your computer with edits in your hosts file to redirect a webaddress to your local computer on 127.0.0.1

seems a bit long winded but it might work.

You could, but no IIS! :P/> Use Apache.
albrat #10
Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:46 PM
hehe, long time since I played with webservices on my local computer. I think it's too risky now to be honest. I agree though apache is the best way to go as it basically set's up itself without much hassle and is easy to configure.