This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TorakTu's profile picture

Question about rom/help

Started by TorakTu, 05 August 2013 - 12:19 PM
TorakTu #1
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:19 PM
I eventually want to change the WHOLE OS, including the APIs used. So I was poking round to see what all is in the ROM.

With a fresh install of minecraft and CC 1.56 I was looking around the ROM and boom.. error.

You should be able to re-create the error when you type dir in rom/help.

Engineer #2
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:28 PM
SpoilerI eventually want to change the WHOLE OS, including the APIs used. So I was poking round to see what all is in the ROM.

With a fresh install of minecraft and CC 1.56 I was looking around the ROM and boom.. error.

You should use resource packs. It is somewhere described on the forums on how to make it, but Im too lazy to go ahead and look for it :P/>
As far as I know you cannot replace bios.lua.
TorakTu #3
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:31 PM
You should use resource packs. It is somewhere described on the forums on how to make it, but Im too lazy to go ahead and look for it :P/>
As far as I know you cannot replace bios.lua.

Uhmm I hadn't messed with anything.. as I said.. I was just looking around.. from fresh install.. I haven't changed anything. Meaning, this is an error by default. It came this way with his newest version of CC1.56.
Zudo #4
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:36 PM
I eventually want to change the WHOLE OS, including the APIs used. So I was poking round to see what all is in the ROM.

Spoiler

You are trying to run the help file named 'list' methinks :)/> 'dir' is an alias of 'list'
Edited on 06 August 2013 - 01:00 AM
TorakTu #5
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:38 PM
You are trying to run the help file named 'list' methinks :)/> 'dir' is an alias of 'list'

Look at my picture CLOSER. Try it out as I did… you'll see.
Zudo #6
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Look at my picture CLOSER. Try it out as I did… you'll see.

:o/> think again
TorakTu #7
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

You can see in my picture where I typed out DIR. Look at it again…

I typed DIR 3 different times.
Zudo #8
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

You can see in my picture where I typed out DIR. Look at it again…

I typed DIR 3 different times.

'dir' is an alias of 'list'
Engineer #9
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:43 PM
TorakTu said:

Sorry, that messed me up. But I am able to reproduce this, and I think there is something with the shell.

* a few moments later *

Nope, I couldnt find it. Its a very strange error to me.. The error doesnt make sense, because everything is fine in the list program.
Zudo #10
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:44 PM
TorakTu said:
Sorry, that messed me up. But I am able to reproduce this, and I think there is something with the shell.

* a few moments later *

Nope, I couldnt find it. Its a very strange error to me.. The error doesnt make sense, because everything is fine in the list program.

He is in the /rom/help directory, so surely the shell is running /rom/help/list?

:o/> If i'm wrong, Ill feel like an idiot
TorakTu #11
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:45 PM
TorakTu said:

* a few moments later *

Finally.. someone who sees it.

Here is another picture :

It's looking for == instead of =
OR
the opposite
= instead of ==
Zudo #12
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:48 PM
If this is a bug, it is in 1.55 too, so…
TorakTu #13
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:49 PM
If this is a bug, it is in 1.55 too, so…

Problem is.. you have to literally RESTART ( CTRL - R ) the computer.. because once this error occurrs.. it crashes CC.. meaning.. No commands will work from that point on without it showing that error.

EXAMPLE :

Engineer #14
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:50 PM
He is in the /rom/help directory, so surely the shell is running /rom/help/list?

:o/>/> If i'm wrong, Ill feel like an idiot
Yup, you are right. Now I am the idiot :S
Finally.. someone who sees it.

Here is another picture :
Spoiler

It's looking for == instead of =
OR
the opposite
= instead of ==
Well, like Zudo said, its looking for list in the current directory. Which is a one-line string for the help program.
I suggest you look in the ComputerCraft.zip if you want to figure out whats in it. Case closed :)/>/>
Zudo #15
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:50 PM
–Ninja'd–

*sigh* Finally!
TorakTu #16
Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:00 PM
Well, like Zudo said, its looking for list in the current directory. Which is a one-line string for the help program.
I suggest you look in the ComputerCraft.zip if you want to figure out whats in it. Case closed :)/>/>

Not closed.. Either way.. i'll look at the source code and see what I can find. Once I do find it, i'll post it.
Kingdaro #17
Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:08 PM
On the subject of the erroring when in the help directory…perhaps the help system needs a bit of a rework?
TorakTu #18
Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:20 PM
On the subject of the erroring when in the help directory…perhaps the help system needs a bit of a rework?

It's funny you mention that. I was just looking through all the LUA code in the ZIP file as Engineer suggested. What I am seeing is what could potentially be a pathing issue. I have to go finish TorNet, but just thought I would throw that out there for dan200 to see in case he might know more about this.
MysticT #19
Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:40 PM
That "bug" has been reported at least 2 times before. The problem is, like ZudoHackz said, that the shell looks for programs in the current directory, then on the rest of the path (the path variable in shell, which you can change with shell.setPath).
The solution is simple, use full paths to programs:
cd /rom/help – go into the /rom/help folder
cd .. – this will error
/rom/programs/cd .. – and now you are in /rom
Zudo #20
Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

I was thinking that the help files could have "_help" or something similar at the end of the program name.
TorakTu #21
Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I was thinking that the help files could have "_help" or something similar at the end of the program name.

I agree. It should be different from the actual help folder since lua has no way to determine folder vs file in this particular instance.