This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Drevin's profile picture

Reactor Overheat Protection

Started by Drevin, 20 August 2013 - 12:49 AM
Drevin #1
Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:49 AM
Hello my friends :)/>
I wanted to make a very simple reactor overheat protection but it looks like that im just too stupid to make it on my own.
The idea was to put a computer on my reactor and if i start the program the computer should send a redstone signal behind it.
In front of the computer i put a redstone wire connected with the thermal monitor and if the reactor gets too hot the thermal monitor sends a redstone signal in front of the computer and it should shut down.
I hope someone can show me a working programm so i can understand what i was doing wrong. :)/>/>

Lyqyd #2
Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:50 AM
Split into new topic.

Please use the default texture pack when posting screenshots asking for help.

Computers can't take redstone input on side faces that way, the wire would need to point directly in to the computer, not simply lie on its surface.
LBPHacker #3
Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:33 AM
-snip-
It just doesn't feel right to argue with you, but back when I used RP, I sure was able to place the wire like that and it worked perfectly. But that was some time ago, I might not be right.

Anyways, if the thermal monitor emits a redstone signal, and the reactor shuts down if it gets redstone, couldn't you just connect them?
albrat #4
Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:42 PM
Confirmed that you can use Redpower2 wires on the front of a monitor.

[attachment=1313:Untitled.png]

Also in screenshot is how to grab the input when it activates.

while true do
if redstone.getIput("front") then
  redstone.setOutput("back", false)
  else redstone.setOutput("back", true)
end
sleep(1)
end
Lyqyd #5
Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:39 PM
I must be thinking of bundled cables, then. I know there was an issue with surface-mounted RedPower stuff. Perhaps it was fixed at some point.
albrat #6
Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:04 PM
I know what you are thinking about… it's the insulated cables. You have to run those up to an item and stop. Otherwise the signal doesn't go to the item. (I usually terminate into a normal redstone wire )
Lyqyd #7
Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:07 PM
No, I know it wasn't the insulated ones I was thinking of. I'm fairly certain the issue we used to see regularly was with the bundled cables, and usually with people trying to lay them on the back of the computer.
Zudo #8
Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:10 PM
I made something similar, but I deleted the world because it got corrupted :(/>

I used [acronym='OpenCCSensors (yay, this is the first time I used the acronym tag!)']OCS[/acronym] to get the heat, and if it was above the specified level, the program would emit a redstone signal.
ZagKalidor #9
Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:53 PM
Isn't it vice versa. Redstone fires it up and no redstone signal cuts reactor of?
albrat #10
Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:18 PM
With no redstone signal the reactor does not work. You have to apply a signal to turn on the reactor.

the sensor box that detects the heat emits a redstone signal if the reactor gets too hot.

So we have the computer detect the activation of the overheat signal and make it turn off the redstone to the reactor. ( bit like a "not" switch / Circuit )
immibis #11
Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:42 AM
Why not just use a NOT gate?
albrat #12
Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:27 AM
Why not just use a NOT gate?
Because you have to move your signal away from the reactor to use the not gate. I have played with the same Ideas, but my reactor has a complex redstone circuit to turn itself on and off for set periods of time usnig pistons etc. (the reactor powers all my buildcraft items through an energylink. using a gate plate to detect the flow of power, * if the power is in the pipe it shuts off the MFE * if the MFE is full it shuts the reactors down for 1 minute, to let the power in the MFE drain a bit…)

at the time I made the reactor, I was not using the CC computers. Otherwise I might have used the same system as this to turn on and off the reactor. (gives you more control with different programming).