This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
busterbluth's profile picture

How can I determine if I installed Computercraft correctly?

Started by busterbluth, 02 September 2013 - 05:09 PM
busterbluth #1
Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:09 PM
Title: How can I determine if I installed Computercraft correctly?

I am new to Minecraft as well as Computercraft. My son introduced me to Computercraft and I am now trying to install it and learn it as it looks very interesting (and I write code for a living and work frequently in a Unix environment).

I am on a Mac (OS 10.8.4), am running Minecraft 1.6.2, had trouble finding instructions specific to my setup, but the following is what I did in an attempt to install Computercraft:

1. from the terminal prompt: cd ~/desktop
2. mkdir ADD_MOD_FILES
3. cd ADD_MOD_FILES
4. jar xf ~/library/Application\ support/minecraft/versions/1.6.2/1.6.2.jar (I don't have a ../minecraft/bin folder like most of the instructions reference)
5. copied the Computercraft files from the Download folder into the desktop folder ADD_MOD_FILES
6. cd ~/desktop/ADD_MOD_FILES
7. manually deleted META-INF folder from this directory.
8. jar uf ~/library/application\ support/minecraft/versions/1.6.2/1.6.2.jar ./
9. run Minecraft

I also edited my profile, checking the game directory path and pointing it to: /Users/clay_wells/Library/Application Support/minecraft/versions/1.6.2.

I tried following the instructions here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrUHUhfCY5A - to build a computer, but when I put the components together on the Craft Table, nothing happened. I assume this means that Computercraft isn't installed correctly or isn't recognized. Minecraft runs without crashing, but I can't get the computer to build like the guy in the video tutorial does.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

BB
DaGamer12345 #2
Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:48 PM
You have to download Forge (a mod loader for Minecraft) and install it with the installer (Download here: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,10075.0.html and run the .jar you get from the installer), run Minecraft with the new profile the installer makes, close it, place the Computercraft .zip in the Mods directory, run Minecraft under the forge profile again, and CC should be installed.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:59 PM
As DaGamer12345 stated you are required installing Minecraft Forge. As a programmer I'm sure you'll much prefer this link, http://files.minecraftforge.net it's less pretty, but we're used to that :P/> and also it's straight to the point.

I've had some problems with the latest version of Forge's installer in Mac OSX the last version I installed on my Minecraft instance was version 9.10.0.803 which works fine with CC, I'm not sure what the latest is that you'll have successfully work though.

Anyway, run the installer and launch Minecraft. Then select the "Forge" profile and launch Minecraft, it will download and install all the appropriate files. Once done close Minecraft.

Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft in finder and you will now notice a folder in there called mods, place the ComputerCraft zip in there, this is where you will place most mods (some may need to go in coremods, they will tell you when they do). You can now start up Minecraft, making sure that the "Forge" profile is still selected and ComputerCraft will still be installed…

Have fun with Minecraft and ComputerCraft and welcome to the forums :)/>
busterbluth #4
Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the info! I am running into some problems with the Forge download. How am I supposed to "run the .jar" file that I downloaded? I have seen some instructions that say to right-click and select "open with archive utility". When I do this, a 2nd file is created with the extension .jar.cpgz. Is this right? What do I do next? How do I get to the Forge download files? And once I do get to them, do I copy them to the .jar file in the location: ~/library/application\ support/minecraft/versions/1.6.2/ ?
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:35 PM
Well unless you've changed settings with Java in Mac OSX you can just double click the Forge installer, if that isn't working then just launch it though terminal with

jar path/to/installer/filename.jar

Shouldn't need to though, you should just be able to double-click it. Also as for the extracting, yeh archive utility is pretty crap at the moment, it's in the worst state I've ever seen it. I've found to extract jars, if I rename the extension to a zip archive utility seems to like it better. That being said there is no need to extract any jar files anymore since the implementation of the installer.

When you run the installer, it adds a profile into the Minecraft launcher. When you launch Minecraft (having selected the Forge profile) it will then grab any other appropriate files from the web.

To install mods you then need to navigate to the mods folder in the Minecraft app data directory.
busterbluth #6
Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:28 PM
again many thanks for helping a newbie!

this is kinda frustrating - your instructions make sense, but something is going wrong when i try to apply them. i either get an annoying java security error when i double-click the minecraftforge-installer-1.6.2-9.10.0.804.jar file or i get some other error telling me it wouldn't open. bottom line is i can't seem to "unpack" the file.

so i resorted to using the terminal. i unpacked all the files from the 1.6.2.jar file as well as the forge .jar file to a folder on my desktop. then i re-packed them (i think that is what the jar uf command does) back to the 1.6.2.jar file but nothing different happens when i run minecraft. i still don't see the forge profile.

i know it's difficult to make suggestions based off what i have provided, but if you have any suggestions, i would greatly appreciate it. i really want to get this running.

thanks again.
DaGamer12345 #7
Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:49 PM
Did you try to just run the jar file through the terminal? Maybe that could work, I'm not sure.
theoriginalbit #8
Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:51 PM
I'm not sure what the repack command is, I do it via Finder. I used to compress into a zip then change the extension to jar.

But you keep ignoring a key part of my instructions.

You don't unpack the jar it is an installer it doesn't actually contain the files that go into Minecraft anymore.

I'm on my way to uni at this very moment, I'll create a video on how to do it when I get in my lecture if you still have problems after these instructions. But it won't have audio, because I only have QuickTime to record at the moment, running fairly fresh OSX for the new semester.

On to the new method:

Completely ignore what I've said in the past, you have an obsession with unpacking the jar, so I'm going to use that to your advantage.

1. Go to that link I posted before.
2. Download a forge for 1.6.2 but get the universal NOT the installer
3. Unpack the minecraft.jar found in application support
4. Add the contents of the forge zip into the unpacked directory
5. Repack the minecraft.jar and remove the old one
6. Launch Minecraft and follow the same process with profiles as instructed before.
busterbluth #9
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:11 AM
haha yes it does seem that I am obsessed with unpacking the .jar. partly because so far none of the other methods have yielded any progress.

i tried double-clicking the installer but i get a message telling me that since it's not an apple app-store app, my security won't let it run. i even lowered my java security temporarily but that didn't fix it.

tried your alternate suggestion too - the unpacking the universal file but still didn't get anywhere.

the video - even sans sound - would probably help.

many thanks again. off to bed but will check this in the morning.

bb
theoriginalbit #10
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:21 AM
Oh the Apple security thing! Wish you had have said that earlier! Yes that thing is a pain in anyone who isn't a standard users side! I'm surprised you haven't come across that problem earlier!

I'll include how to disable that in my video for you as I can't remember it's location off of the top of my head.
busterbluth #11
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:27 AM
update - i got the forge profile to show up and proceeded to move the computercraft mod into the resourcepack folder. now i see the forge profile and once in i see the computercraft mod pack.

however i still can't build a computer! so one problem solved and on to the next one. will play around with it some tomorrow and try and figure out what is wrong.

should i create a new world? or should it work on one that i created before all of this was ironed out?

thanks again.
theoriginalbit #12
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:28 AM
mods folder not resourcepacks. It's a mod, not a texture.

EDIT: oh and it will work fine, the only time you should regenerate or start a world again is if the mod adds something into the world like a new ore, if it adds something that only needs vanilla resources or resources that are already in the game there is no need to delete the world.
busterbluth #13
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:29 AM
ahh ok - well i don't see a mods folder anywhere…

update … now i do. maybe best to let me monkey around with anything before you do anything further. you've been a big help!
theoriginalbit #14
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:32 AM
ahh ok - well i don't see a mods folder anywhere…
Have you run the forge profile at least once before trying to look for it? In any case just make the folder in the root Minecraft folder, it should then detect it.

Also read my edit.
busterbluth #15
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:38 AM
ok. built the computer but i get an error - "error mounting lua/rom - check to see that computercraft was installed correctly."

not really sure how to check that it was installed correctly. i am doing this under the "forge" profile. I don't see any other mods under the other profile.
theoriginalbit #16
Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:39 AM
Ok I'll make the video now.
busterbluth #17
Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:32 AM
I made sure to move the ComputerCraft download from the Download folder to the .../minecraft/mods/ folder without unzipping or opening the contents. It was not a .jar or a .zip that I could tell. It was names ComputerCraft1-2 or something so I did try changing that to just ComputerCraft. Still no luck - I still get the same error message on the computer.

Could it be that I am doing something wrong with Forge? It is one of the profiles available when the game opens. In fact it's the only one that allows me to even see the mods that are available.

Do I need to select one of the Forge mods and run Minecraft before I select the ComputerCraft mod and run it? Or is there some other key step that I am missing?

Thanks again.
theoriginalbit #18
Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:37 AM
Well I tried uploading the video, apparently my uni doesn't allow me to do that :P/> almost home so I'll do it shortly.

The ComputerCraft file should be a zip.
busterbluth #19
Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:48 AM
Ok no problem on the video.

In my /Downloads folder, the downloaded file shows up as just a "folder", not a zip file. I tried changing the type to a .zip, but of course that didn't work.
theoriginalbit #20
Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:02 AM
Oh it's Safari automatically extracting the zip on you………. What kind of programmer are you, not tweaking settings on your OS?! :P/>

In safari preferences you'll find a setting that's something like auto open files when downloaded. Turn it off.
busterbluth #21
Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:13 AM
Well I never said I was a good programmer! ;)/>

Changed the preference and now the computer works. I get to the prompt and can issue basic commands (like "dir") error-free.

Consider my question answered thanks to all the wonderful help here. Looking forward to learning LUA and sharing my experience.

Thank you so much!

BB