This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
stringcheese's profile picture

Os.pullevent() Followed By Read(), Character Persists

Started by stringcheese, 05 September 2013 - 03:28 PM
stringcheese #1
Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:28 PM
This is a simple enough problem that I can't figure out how to fix. I have a to-do list program where there's a menu that uses os.pullEvent() to get a key for a menu selection, say "A" for adding a task to a list. I then go to a function that uses read() to get a string for the task. The problem is that the "a" is always sitting there from the prior os.pullEvent(). How do I purge this "a" before I get to the read()? Here's the pruned code:

local event, p1, p2, p3 = os.pullEvent()
if event == "key" then
  local keyPressed = p1
  if keyPressed == 30 then
	AddTask()
  end

function AddTask()
  taskToAdd = read()
end
Lyqyd #2
Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:35 PM
sleep(0) will clear the stack, or use char events in your menu, since char follows key.
kreezxil #3
Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:08 PM
This is a simple enough problem that I can't figure out how to fix. I have a to-do list program where there's a menu that uses os.pullEvent() to get a key for a menu selection, say "A" for adding a task to a list. I then go to a function that uses read() to get a string for the task. The problem is that the "a" is always sitting there from the prior os.pullEvent(). How do I purge this "a" before I get to the read()? Here's the pruned code:

local event, p1, p2, p3 = os.pullEvent()
if event == "key" then
  local keyPressed = p1
  if keyPressed == 30 then
	AddTask()
  end

function AddTask()
  taskToAdd = read()
end

You example almost looks like the example at http://computercraft.info/wiki/Os.pullEvent which by the way lists a set of events that might interest you.

Also I think I would optimize that code you showed us a wee bit to:

local _, keyPressed = os.pullEvent("key")
  if keyPressed == 30 then
	AddTask()
  end

function AddTask()
  taskToAdd = read()
end