This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
HellsGuard's profile picture

[Request] Easier explained if you read inside...

Started by HellsGuard, 30 April 2012 - 12:16 AM
HellsGuard #1
Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:16 AM
Hello again everyone,

I have a request, mainly to find out if its possible, I have no LUA or C++ skills really yet, but im slowly learning.

I would like to know if this is possible…

An "information" program that is readable and writeable, basically the Tekkit server I manage is going to have an "Insurance" Company" and I'd like some direction, or some advice, or even some help.

Basic Run down of the program and its functions are below.

- Information Inputs such as their name and if they are insured
- Writes to a data file that is writeable and readable with a command or a text string.

any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Luanub #2
Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:21 AM
Very doable. Just use a file to save the data in. As you add "clients" simply open the file in append mode and add the string to the file. If you want to open the file and manipulate it then just read the file contents into a table and modify the table then update the file to match the modified table. If you need help getting started pm me and I'll give you a couple of examples on how to achieve this.
Zalerinian #3
Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:26 AM
I would recommend that you use cc-get to get one of the scripts that can re-name a floppy disk. You can use that and build on it, or just use that as a reference for your script.
HellsGuard #4
Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:44 AM
Thanks to both of you, good to know its do-able, and thanks for the tips, I'm still learning the basics of LUA and CC and how they both function, so it might take me a bit but thanks for the information!