This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Alice's profile picture

Replacing Rom Folder?

Started by Alice, 18 September 2013 - 07:27 PM
Alice #1
Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:27 PM
First, I looked four times and found nothing related to this.

I want to make an operating system without the assistance of the CraftOS. I can do it much easier if I was able to edit rom/
Is there any way this can be done?
kreezxil #2
Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:40 PM
First, I looked four times and found nothing related to this.

I want to make an operating system without the assistance of the CraftOS. I can do it much easier if I was able to edit rom/
Is there any way this can be done?

That depends on if you are using SSP or SMP.

That being said you should check out all the custom Operating System threads and see what they are doing and how they addressed your situation. In the process you will learn about things you have not yet considered. For instance someone is working on an OS that replaces lua with a linux variant. While others doing things equally as exciting. All have to deal with many types of situations. So I urge you to go check those other operating system variants and well get involved in their threads.
Bubba #3
Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:56 PM
… So to actually answer your question, yes it is possible, and no it does not depend on whether you play SMP or SSP. It does depend on whether you have access to the resource packs folder. In order to edit the ROM, you need to make resource packs. Resource packs allow you to modify/replace all of the ComputerCraft code, which is quite handy for extreme customization and program management.
immibis #4
Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:35 AM
Please note that rom cannot be replaced for individual computers - all computers use the same rom, no matter what. If your operating system requires rom to be modified, many people will not use it because of this.