This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
mrdawgza's profile picture

How To Make An Installer.

Started by mrdawgza, 24 September 2013 - 01:19 PM
mrdawgza #1
Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:19 PM
Hello, again…
I have almost finished my operating system, which will hopefully be live in a couple hours.
But I want to know how to make a installer. Like from Lyqyd OS and others.

General explanation:
I have a normal operating system for a old regular computer.
It currently has 9 files required for fully functional use.
How do I make a old computer download these files off Pastebin and make them files again?

Another question, does this make the operating system closed source so it cannot be claimed with another name?
BigTwisty #2
Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:36 PM
1. The best thing to do would be to look at the pastebin program built into your computer. It is at rom/programs/http/pastebin if I remember correctly. Basically I would recommend you take that code and manipulate it to do what you want specifically.

2. There is no way to make ANYTHING closed source in ComputerCraft. Everything is saved in source code form. Anyone downloading the 9 files would be able to reading them.
PixelToast #3
Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:49 PM
2. There is no way to make ANYTHING closed source in ComputerCraft. Everything is saved in source code form. Anyone downloading the 9 files would be able to reading them.
there are ways to obufuscate lua code
you can use string.dump/luac to turn the program into bytecode, that can be decompiled/dissasembled though, there is a program to randomize the localize names making it harder to dissasemble (i forget where)
sometimes i localize random functions with random function names and make the code completely unreadable, though its kind of hard developing something like that

i find it completely useless to make CC programs closed source, or anything for that matter because there are always ways of retrieving the source
Engineer #4
Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:10 PM
There is the option of compiling it, but then you cannot publish on these forums.
mrdawgza #5
Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your help, but I think I found out how to make an installer :P/>
You can see the code on my OS post for the installer.
BigTwisty #6
Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:33 PM
there are ways to obufuscate lua code
you can use string.dump/luac to turn the program into bytecode, that can be decompiled/dissasembled though, there is a program to randomize the localize names making it harder to dissasemble (i forget where)
sometimes i localize random functions with random function names and make the code completely unreadable, though its kind of hard developing something like that

i find it completely useless to make CC programs closed source, or anything for that matter because there are always ways of retrieving the source

Interesting. I was unaware of this. I would think server admins would dislike this a bit, as they can't go in and see if it is your code screwing up their server. I figured CC was open source by design.

I can see how this might be of use in a war server, however.
PixelToast #7
Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:39 PM
though apparently you arent allowed to post obfuscated code, i diddnt know that before