This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Mario852's profile picture

Is it possible to craft an item with other items in the inventory?

Started by Mario852, 11 October 2013 - 03:27 PM
Mario852 #1
Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:27 PM
Title: Is it possible to craft an item with other items in the inventory?

Okay, so I made tree planter/harvester which is able to run 24/7, but now I am trying to optimize its MJ output by lowering turtle's fuel consumption a little.
So I am wondering if its possible for a crafty turtle to craft wood into planks while having a half-full inventory (with saplings and wood)?
Would having the turtle to go to a chest, unload its inventory except a stack of wood, craft wood into planks and load the inventory again be the only way to do it?

-In summary-
Is it possible to craft an item X into Y while also having an item Z in the inventory?
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:36 PM
The top-left 3x3 area of the turtle's inventory is treated as the crafting grid, so it should just be a matter of making sure you've only got items you wish to craft within that area - you can use turtle.select along with turtle.transferTo to move other items to the right/bottom, out of the way, but depending on how full the turtle is it may need to offload regardless.

I suspect you'd be better off constructing a charging station and having the logs processed into charcoal in order to power that.
Mario852 #3
Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:45 PM
The top-left 3x3 area of the turtle's inventory is treated as the crafting grid

That's what I was thinking as well.
But no, if I place a wood block in space 1, and some other item in space 16 of the turtles inventory, the crafting operation will fail.
From my observations, it seems to treat all of the turtle's inventory as a crafting grid :/
Lyqyd #4
Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:59 PM
No. You must have only the recipe in the inventory. Any 3x3 area of the inventory can be used, not just the top-left one.
Mario852 #5
Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:42 AM
I suspect you'd be better off constructing a charging station and having the logs processed into charcoal in order to power that.

Unfortunately its not in the new Tekkit.
I did something similar to that, I placed a crafty turtle and all it does is converts wood into planks and drops them into the other turtle. Not as elegant but its working and it increased my turtles power output to 10MJ/t (due to the lower fuel consumption) :)/>
BTW. Thanks to all the developers/admins for the only infinite power source in the new Tekkit, the Turtle :D/>.
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:48 AM
Unfortunately its not in the new Tekkit.
The irony is I got the bit about the crafting grid being to the top left from wikia's Tekkit wiki - my bad. :unsure:/>