This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Zeoic's profile picture

Notepad Program?

Started by Zeoic, 17 November 2013 - 10:46 PM
Zeoic #1
Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:46 PM
How would I go about making a notepad for an OS? When I think of it it just doesn't work, if I need it to be possible to write in a text field but also keep buttons clickable, how would I do that?
Edited on 17 November 2013 - 10:51 PM
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:55 PM
pre-edit response
I looked all over the forum for an explanation to this but couldn't find one.
Clearly you didn't. Here are just two threads that are officially made.

Forum Guidelines which is a global sticky thread.
New members needing to ask questions, please read which is a sticky thread in this very sub-forum that you posted in!

There are heaps more threads just like this asking the same question as you did. There are also several posts around from members that were existing members prior to the change that also could not create threads due to their low post count. You currently have 5 posts, two of which I see you've done today, if you indeed cannot still make topics I'd just say it's one of those edge cases where a moderator will have to reset/fix your permissions.

post-edit response
How would I go about making a notepad for an OS? When I think of it it just doesn't work, if I need it to be possible to write in a text field but also keep buttons clickable, how would I do that?
What have you tried? Where doesn't it work? What goes wrong? What are your ideas? What code have you got currently? We need more information in order to help you better.

However if you've come here to get us to write you a program then you're looking in the wrong place, that is not what we do here. We're here to help you fix problems when you encounter them, not to be code monkeys and make a program for you.
Edited on 17 November 2013 - 10:59 PM
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:19 AM
I'm guessing Zeoic is thinking of just using "read()" statements to get text from the user - the answer is to instead use key/char events obtained via os.pullEvent(). This way, you can inspect each event as it comes in, and check to see if it's a keypress or a mouse click or whatever it is you're interested in.
Zeoic #4
Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:19 AM
I'm guessing Zeoic is thinking of just using "read()" statements to get text from the user - the answer is to instead use key/char events obtained via os.pullEvent(). This way, you can inspect each event as it comes in, and check to see if it's a keypress or a mouse click or whatever it is you're interested in.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that, Thank You Soo much!
Zeoic #5
Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:27 AM
pre-edit responseu didn't. Here are just two threads that are officially made.

Forum Guidelines which is a global sticky thread.
New members needing to ask questions, please read which is a sticky thread in this very sub-forum that you posted in!

There are heaps more threads just like this asking the same question as you did. There are also several posts around from members that were existing members prior to the change that also could not create threads due to their low post count. You currently have 5 posts, two of which I see you've done today, if you indeed cannot still make topics I'd just say it's one of those edge cases where a moderator will have to reset/fix your permissions.

Yeah, my browser was messed up, I didn't notice it but it turned out I was missing lots of many websites. It had some problem with PHP. I updated my browser and there is so much i was missing. After that I found the guidelines area and lots of stuff on other forums too.