This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
brainbaobao's profile picture

Disable Block-placing?

Started by brainbaobao, 22 November 2013 - 04:25 PM
brainbaobao #1
Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:25 PM
I run an FTB ultimate server and recently we've had issues with turtles placing blocks and griefing player structures.
We have griefprevention, worldguard, and lwc but computercraft bypasses these protection plugins.

So I am here to ask, is there a way to disable turtle block placing? I haven't seen a config option for that.
Also, I've heard that turtles place blocks by means of a fake player, would limiting the power of the fake player be helpful?

Thanks!
brain
DannySMc #2
Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:11 PM
Well from what I know, there isn't unless you have a way of getting to the servers file system and adding a startup code for all the turtles and you could then technically restrict what they do by actually (for example) creating a server that will either allow or not allow block placement, then the turtles will check with the server if they can if not then it won't work….? only idea haha
Neekow #3
Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:19 PM
Overide turtle API? Let me explain …create an API James "turtle" with function place() reworked …

Dunno if it can works or anything … Just an idea ^^
DannySMc #4
Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:09 AM
You could create a api for block placing and make users abide by it then you can control that function or you can re-work the actual mods functions and take it out???
Papa_Beans #5
Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:08 PM
You can actually go into the turtle API and delete the turtle.place() function all together. Besides that I would say a parent computer, and a mandatory startup program for the turtle to allow the server to tell the turtle not to use turtle.place() unless its within a certain area. You can edit the config for rednet() distance so that might be your best bet.
amtra5 #6
Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:07 AM
IIRC, computercraft responds to permissions aimed at "Computercraft"