This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TheThirdPerson's profile picture

A question about workflow/bugfixing when developing for turtles.

Started by TheThirdPerson, 09 December 2013 - 12:16 PM
TheThirdPerson #1
Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:16 PM
So I am putting together a few turtle programs to do basic things (building walls, branch mining, tree farming, etc), and I find that it is really hard to bugfix efficiently. Let me explain:

Currently I write the programs in Notepad++, because I want them saved on my hard drive and it is a much more user-friendly environment for writing code compared to the computercraft interface. In order to get my programs into the game to test, I open up the computercraft zip, navigate to the turtle programs, and place my program in there without the .lua extension (the same way the default programs are handled).

The problem here is that once I have a program written, if I go through the steps to get it running in-game and then find a bug, I have to close out minecraft, re-open and re-navigate the byzantine filetree inside the computercraft zip, delete the version in there and replace it with the new one. Then I close the zip and reload minecraft and re-test.

This is far from convenient.

I have used the pastebin functionality before, but my understanding is that pastebin no longer allows it.

My question is: Is there a better way?
MKlegoman357 #2
Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:36 PM
You can actually access all files of a specific computer by going to .minecraft/saves/<your save>/computer/<computer>. To get the ID of a computer type id in shell. Disks are saved in .minecraft/saves/<your save>/computer/disk/<disk>.
Edited on 09 December 2013 - 12:52 PM
Jnky #3
Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:26 PM
It is rather inconvenient, you could try using the cc addon that makes coding easier, i forget what its called, something IDE or IDE something. IDK.

Anyway, where did you hear pastebin doesn't work? I must have used pastebin 1000 times yesterday writing a script of my own. Good luck, I am interested too, if there is a better way than Np++ &amp; pastebin I would sure like to know about it.
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:15 PM
Integrated development environment.

I have used the pastebin functionality before, but my understanding is that pastebin no longer allows it.
I suspect you've confused "pastebin" with the "pastebin functionality built into ComputerCraft", the latter of which MineCraft server admins may choose to have disabled.

You can actually access all files of a specific computer by going to .minecraft/saves/<your save>/computer/<computer>. To get the ID of a computer type id in shell. Disks are saved in .minecraft/saves/<your save>/computer/disk/<disk>.
… and doing it this way means there's no need to restart the server. If you want the one script copied to lots of turtles, then write a script to do that for you, too!