This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
sourcemaker's profile picture

Take CC to the deep - connecting plugins and get player's name?

Started by sourcemaker, 08 May 2012 - 02:07 PM
sourcemaker #1
Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:07 PM
Hi CC-addicts,

currently I'm planning a lua-script which interacts with plugins on our server.
Example: I execute a function "givemesomeloot(blockid,sum)" and that block "blockid" is added "sum"-times in my inventory.

For that it's possible to use the http api or the fs api (write a file/get url with content in it), but who do I catch the players/senders name?

Is there any possibility to receive the player's name who uses the console?
Workarounds:
1.) Every player gets a floppy with his name on it (what would be bad if s.o. steals that disk)
2.) Triggering a redstone powered sign (like falsebook, etc. but who's the sender?)

Regards,
Ben
OmegaVest #2
Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:01 PM
I don't know if there is any way to get the name, but you could always use a floppy/card and username/password combination. Use randomized filenames to detect authenticity. Plus, the usual logon system protections.

Not quite as protected, as a particularly diligent "hacker" could potentially guess the correct names/passwords/files to make a new connection. But then, that dedicated an a***ole would also be the one to write a small client-side plugin to make them look like someone else, so. . .
libraryaddict #3
Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:35 AM
Computercraft naturally does not take the player names.
So any way you think of will be hackable.
Unless you add protection + stop players & turtles editing the area.

You could have a login screen where they need to type in their name and a password.

Here is a program you could use for example.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/1505-computerlock-multiple-users-supported/

Just take out lines 75, 76 and replace with something like "UserScreen()"
Then at the end of their using. It returns to the login screen.
sourcemaker #4
Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:50 AM
Thanks for your ideas.
atm cc is "abused" for "a global network solution"
- infoDB (contains server-informations for the players and a ticket system)
- myID (contains everything about the player's profile like bank account, inventory manipulation, etc.
- tools (various tools, which may also differ from computerID to computerID (e.g. door lockings with passports, admin computers, advertising screens, etc.))

The player are not able to implement their own sources and the whole os is locked up from changes. Termination keys are disabled, also. There should be no way to inject custom sources (but on turtles)

That ComputerLock you wrote is great and saves much time. (I like your replacement from password chars to asterisks ^^)

Perhaps the user has to create his account creditals through a seperate plugin, which manages the user db in fs. (this should work)