This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Robskie's profile picture

Teleporting turtles.

Started by Robskie, 06 January 2014 - 12:44 PM
Robskie #1
Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:44 PM
Hi guys, since i wasn't quite sure where to ask this question i figured i'd just do it here. I'm playing on a server where there aren't any wireless receivers/transmitters and i'm looking for a way to use turtles for remote controlled actions. The thing is, there are 2 options: 1) i use a turtle teleporter at my main command center and let it teleport places to pull levers and such
or 2) use the rednet api on the turtles/pc's themselves. Are there any guides, or tips that you could give me to help me finish this project? I wasn't able to get the turtle teleporters working(probably cause i'm using the api wrongly in some way)

Help would be greatly appreciated!

-Robskie
OReezy #2
Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:50 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with the teleporters, but here is some info on the rednet.

This is the rednet API page on the wiki.
http://www.computerc...ki/Rednet_(API)

You need a wireless turtle and a wireless modem on your computer. This turns the modems on:
rednet.open("right")
Then you use these to send and receive:
rednet.send(id, "youre message")
id,message,distance = rednet.receive(optionalTimeout)
aaa #3
Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:58 PM
I not quite sure about teleporters, but I think your turtles need fuel to use them, something like 4*distance or distance^2, I don't remember (distance is |x| + |y| + |z|, in other words, your fuel consumption if you would have done the travel by regular moves).
So you should rather use modem, when possible. I don't know anything about the behavior of teleporters through dimensions, but I'm pretty sure modems don't work.
Edited on 07 January 2014 - 01:59 PM
oeed #4
Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:38 PM
The fastest and probably most reliable way would be to send the turtles up to the top of the world and then move all the X axis distance then Z axis distance. I wouldn't move diagonally as the turtle will have to turn a lot which takes a lot of time (my testing showed about 0.4 seconds).

I would also make a number of wireless repeating stations at the top of the world.

Do you have any code at the moment?
Edited on 07 January 2014 - 02:46 PM