This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Eisaes's profile picture

Sending a group of turtles a message to start their program

Started by Eisaes, 17 January 2014 - 10:51 AM
Eisaes #1
Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:51 AM
Hello,

I'm looking for a script wich allows me to run a program on several turtles, from a computer.
Does a script like that exist?
Buho #2
Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:54 PM
Actually, I was wondering the same thing today.

Ideally, I'd like to have a stack of (generic) turtles, plop them down in front of a disk drive, and have them load a script and then run it. (The script has them fuel up and move out of the way for the next.) The trouble is they have no startup routine and I don't know how to force a program onto a turtle and force it to run it. Maybe this is impossible?

EDIT, sorry if this is a hijack. It's a slightly different question than the OP.
Edited on 17 January 2014 - 11:55 AM
CometWolf #3
Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:16 PM
loading a file onto a disk named "startup" then placing a computer or a turtle next to a drive with the disk in it will make it boot up the file named "startup". Whenever i need a script to setup multiple computers/turtles i usually have one main turtle that places and programs the others using a disk drive and a disk. Just note that the building turtle will have to use the others as a peripheral, and use peripheral.callMethod(side,"turnOn") to boot them into the startup script loaded on the disk. This is pretty easy to do, especially if you want them all to be identical.
Lyqyd #4
Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:33 PM
peripheral.call("side", "turnOn"), replacing side with the actual side name. Just for clarity, since there isn't a peripheral.callMethod function.