This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
GalaxyTom's profile picture

Idea: faster modems - will it be faster ? if...

Started by GalaxyTom, 28 January 2014 - 02:15 PM
GalaxyTom #1
Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:15 PM
Hi,
how we know sending informations by wireless modems is little bit slow. I was thinking very hard how to speed it up.

And there is my Idea,
IMG
(hope img works)

and my question is:
Can I use two modems as two different peripherals (img) , where first will be only for incoming informations ( rednet.receive() and parallel.waitForAny() ) , and second for sending ?

Thanks for answers. :)/>
Lyqyd #2
Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:31 PM
That would not be faster. Sending information via modems is not particularly slow to begin with though, at least not that I've noticed.
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:22 PM
You can do it, but not via the rednet API, and it's indeed not any faster.
6677 #4
Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:28 PM
What you are proposing is full duplex communication rather than half duplex. It is already possible with the modem api. I get the impression that modems are so speedy as is that there will be no benefit.
Lyqyd #5
Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:23 PM
Please ignore the above. Half duplex and full duplex are meaningless terms in this context. There will be no speed gains when doing this, and there will most likely be a (probably negligible) loss of speed due to the need to restructure your programs to use two modems instead of one.
GalaxyTom #6
Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:41 AM
Oh, ok thank you …..)
6677 #7
Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:18 AM
Please ignore the above. Half duplex and full duplex are meaningless terms in this context. There will be no speed gains when doing this, and there will most likely be a (probably negligible) loss of speed due to the need to restructure your programs to use two modems instead of one.
Elaborate.
What he is proposing is full duplex. Simultaneous transmit and receive, the very definition. I then mentioned that it can probably be done with one modem anyway. Then proceeded to say that there wont be any benefit. Yet you say I am wrong and I should be ignored before proceeding to spew something which is then false followed by what I already said.
Lyqyd #8
Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:25 AM
"Full duplex" and "half duplex" don't mean anything in ComputerCraft. Only one computer is ever running at a time. Modems "receive" messages when computers are yielded, and computers can only send messages when they are running. Adding a second modem won't change that. Using just one modem won't allow you to do something that is fundamentally impossible in ComputerCraft. I suggested that your post be ignored since it seemed to demonstrate a lack of understanding of the basic architecture of the mod.
Agoldfish #9
Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:09 PM
Tsk tsk Mods, should this be in Suggestions?
Lyqyd #10
Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:27 PM
It's set out as a question. It wouldn't make a huge amount of sense as a suggestion, so I'll just leave it here.