This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
grand_mind1's profile picture

[SOLVED]Tunnel Program Help

Started by grand_mind1, 28 January 2014 - 11:51 PM
grand_mind1 #1
Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:51 AM
In my tunnel program there is a part where I check to see if a settings files already exists and if it does then I ask the user if they want to load it. This used to work fine but it doesn't work right now. It is on lines 351-372. Instead of working how it is supposed to, it tells me that when I type 'y' it is invalid. While this shouldn't happen it then tells me that it is invalid again. After this it just goes on with the program as if it was valid. I have no idea what is going on.
Code: http://pastebin.com/VbzaRCbf
Help is appreciated.
Thanks! :D/>
Edited on 29 January 2014 - 06:04 PM
Buho #2
Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:37 AM
Dunno. Your code to read the input looks fine. Throw a debug in there and print the length of load. Maybe there's a character at the end like CR or LF.

Better, pull that snippet of code out into its own program, just for testing. Try to isolate the issue.

I would recommend cleaning up your conditional. You don't need "if 'y' then this elseif 'n' then that else a third thing." Just test against the 'y' and throw the rest in the else. I was concerned that useSettings was not set to a value but then I saw you initialize it at 341. A binary conditional can re-set that value just for clarity.
Edited on 29 January 2014 - 06:38 AM
surferpup #3
Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:11 AM
I agree with Buho – print out the value of load before the test to see what you are getting from the file.

Also, the test in your until statement is unnecessary. The variable continue is either true or false by that point in the code. It can be simplified.

Here is your code with a debug statement after load is converted to lower and the simplified until statement:

repeat
  term.clear()
  term.setCursorPos(1,1)
  print("A settings file was found.")
  print("Would you like to load it?(Y/N): ")
  load = read()
  load = string.lower(load)
  print("-->"..load.."<--") -- formatted to see exactly what load is
  if load == "y" then
	useSettings = true
	continue = true
  elseif load == "n" then
	useSettings = false
	continue = true
  else
	continue = false
	invalid()
  end
until continue

Edit: I ran the above code on a computer. I used your repeat … until clause as well as the modified one above. Both work fine.
Edited on 29 January 2014 - 07:19 AM
grand_mind1 #4
Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:14 PM
I tried both of your suggestions but it didn't reveal what problem is. When I add some printing to debug and get the value of load, it outputs

-->y<--
This just adds to the confusion because this shows no extra characters.

I also noticed that the turtle does not properly load the settings at all. Like if I keep going in the program it won't run how it should with the settings. Like place torches etc.
Edited on 29 January 2014 - 01:15 PM
grand_mind1 #5
Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:46 PM
Ok, so after doing some testing I found out the source of the problem. The problem is somehow related to the values of useChests, useEnder, and useTorches. For each one of these variables that is true or false, it will print Invalid another time. If they are set to something besides true or false, the program works. Using this information I could technically fix my problem by changing what it checks for in these variables but I don't want to do this. I want to find out what is causing the actual problem. My guess is that it is somehow running through the loops that decide if you want to use all of those things but it shouldn't because you already chose to use settings from a file.
Edited on 29 January 2014 - 05:54 PM
surferpup #6
Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:03 PM
So, you have just ruled out the section of code that you thought was broken. The only thing that section of code does is test if a file exists, if it does it asks if you want to use it (y or n). If you fails to type in y or n, it prints "\nInvalid" and repeats the question. It sets useSettings to true or false depending on whether you type y or n. That's it. Printing the value of useSettings at the end of this portion of code should prove this to you.

So, your problem lies in a different section. I recommend you place debug prints at each stage of your code and make sure the values you think should be present are in fact what you think they ought to be.