This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
applesauce10189's profile picture

Melee Turtle Killing Player

Started by applesauce10189, 03 February 2014 - 02:00 AM
applesauce10189 #1
Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:00 AM
Basically I want to kill players on a server with CC. I don't know if this is still true or if it was just an older version but I recall turtles could kill players and in chat it would say "(player name) was killed by ComputerCraft" I got a melee turtle and tested on myself with turtle.attack() and refueled it and everything. Either that turtle's a pacifist or melee turtles don't hurt players so is there any way I can use turtles to kill players?
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:35 AM
If you were standing in front of the turtle and had it call "turtle.attack()", then yeah, it should've belted you.

If it did not, then odds are another mod on the server is interfering. PermissionsEx seems to be a common culprit.
Lyqyd #3
Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:12 AM
If you were in creative, it can't hurt you. If PVP is disabled on a server, it can't hurt you.
applesauce10189 #4
Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:26 PM
If you were standing in front of the turtle and had it call "turtle.attack()", then yeah, it should've belted you.

If it did not, then odds are another mod on the server is interfering. PermissionsEx seems to be a common culprit.
It's on a server so more than likely PermissionsEx could be the problem. Any solution?
Bomb Bloke #5
Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:28 PM
Assuming that's what it is, many people deal with it by enabling the ComputerCraft player as an OP. Can't say I recommend this as it effectively gives ALL players access to craftable OPs. With pickaxes. I'm sure you can see the potential problems that could arise there.

It's apparently possible to configure PermissionsEx to let turtles function with about the same rights as a regular player, but it's not something I've personally run into. Looking up the documentation of the plugin would be a good start.

Of course, if your server is running a permissions-based mod but has no real need for it, then the solution may be to simply disable said mod completely.
CometWolf #6
Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:39 PM
Turtle's can bypass all block protection from the getgo anyways, so OPing them won't make much change in terms of greifability.
Bomb Bloke #7
Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:15 PM
The amount of threads around the web where people are complaining about their turtles being unable to dig/place blocks causes me to disagree with that. ;)/>

"All block protection" without additional mods/plugins installed, maybe.
CometWolf #8
Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:04 AM
Place blocks yes, dig blocks no. Turtles destroying blocks does not register with either bukkit or forge, so no amount of plugins or mods will stop them. This is a well known fact.
Bomb Bloke #9
Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:49 AM
Sure it is.
Lyqyd #10
Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:11 AM
This seems to be veering off into an unrelated tangent. The original question involves melee turtles' ability to damage players.
CometWolf #11
Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:31 AM
Note the dates on the threads you linked. The fake player [computercraft] no longer exists. A quick look at the config file would tell you as much. There is a reason turtles are banned on 90% of all ftb/tekkit servers, and it's not a lack of ability to config permissions. Go on and try it if you don't believe me.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/12043-turtleplayer-turtles-fakeplayer-broken-in-ftb/

As for the turtle's ability to attack players, im pretty sure it just comes down to wether PvP is enabled in the base server configs or not.
Edited on 04 February 2014 - 02:38 AM
applesauce10189 #12
Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:28 AM
Note the dates on the threads you linked. The fake player [computercraft] no longer exists. A quick look at the config file would tell you as much. There is a reason turtles are banned on 90% of all ftb/tekkit servers, and it's not a lack of ability to config permissions. Go on and try it if you don't believe me. http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/12043-turtleplayer-turtles-fakeplayer-broken-in-ftb/ As for the turtle's ability to attack players, im pretty sure it just comes down to wether PvP is enabled in the base server configs or not.
my death count on the server can confirm pvp is on. Also, my friend triple checked the perms and turtles are allowed to do anything. Computercraft has admin perms yet cant attack. It can dig and place blocks perfectly fine. This is a very awkward pile of what the f***.
Bomb Bloke #13
Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:57 AM
Presumably you're not the admin of this server?

What's actually running on the server? Is there eg a modpack name + version you can point to here?

Exactly what type of turtle are you using? Diamond sword, or some other material?
Edited on 05 February 2014 - 04:58 AM
applesauce10189 #14
Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:10 PM
FTB Unleashed 1.1.7 on minecraft 1.6.4 the turtle is a diamond melee turtle (I didn't know they came in any other material) in lua if I try typing turtle.attack() it says false. The server has towny for greif protection and I'm not 100% sure about the permissions plugin but computercraft is admin and should be able to attack.
Agoldfish #15
Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:19 PM
So… What is your question?

EDIT: Thought post above me was OP.

Regarding your actual question, maybe there is a server properties file for pvp from other mods.
Edited on 05 February 2014 - 02:39 PM
CometWolf #16
Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:22 PM
Illiterate, or bad troll? He want's to know why his turtle can't attack players…

Did you try using it on mobs?
Agoldfish #17
Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:40 PM
Illiterate, or bad troll? He want's to know why his turtle can't attack players…

Edited it.
applesauce10189 #18
Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

It works perfectly on mobs, which is one of the things confusing me as to why it wont attack players. Computercraft is admin with all perms and everything. I tried in singleplayer and it brutally murdered me in cold blood which also confuses me as to why it wont work in multiplayer.