This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
daelie's profile picture

Redirect Program to External Computer+Monitor

Started by daelie, 16 February 2014 - 12:42 PM
daelie #1
Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:42 PM
The setup involves bigreactors and openperipherals.

I coded a program that just outputs from the computer that's connected to the reactor to a monitor connected to that computer. For posting sake, this is it.

http://pastebin.com/sLWcvWQF

It works perfectly fine but as I stated above, it's on a monitor that's connected to the computer on the reactor. I would like it to be on a control panel in the same room, so basically moving it to another computer attached to a monitor in the wall.

I've searched a little bit and nothing seems to accomplish that in a way that wouldn't have me recode the entire program to send the results over rednet. Is there an easier way to duplicate the output of the REACTOR computer to the WALL computer/monitor that wouldn't require me sending constant rednet message updates.

I can add pictures if it's unclear what I need help with.
gollark8 #2
Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:51 PM
I think you could just use networking cable and term.redirect("monitor_0") with the monitor ID in the place of 0.
The ID is displayed in chat when you right click the wired modem on the monitor.
daelie #3
Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:10 PM
I think you could just use networking cable and term.redirect("monitor_0") with the monitor ID in the place of 0.
The ID is displayed in chat when you right click the wired modem on the monitor.

Thanks for the quick response.

Is there a way to do it similarly, but wirelessly?
Edited on 16 February 2014 - 01:12 PM
6677 #4
Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:21 PM
Yeah but it would be much harder. Your best bet for that would probably be to look at nsh, its a program that allows remote access to other machines over modems (wired and wireless) much like SSH and telnet do on real PC's. NSH onto the reactor machine from your other machine.

I personally would just go with the networked monitor above.

Otherwise you could create your own protocol for sending information back and forth between the 2 computers for display and input, but I would just let NSH do that for you in this case.
daelie #5
Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:16 AM
Thanks.

I actually found the NSH program last night and tried that before I even posted here. The issue is that it allows remote access, but the monitor that I wanted the display on was the one I was accessing it from, so it would never output to that monitor. Decided to just go the easy route of wired modem :(/> unless I get bored and feel like recoding the program, which is all together possible.
surferpup #6
Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:21 PM
I am told that [member='awsmazinggenius'] has an API/OS that allows you to basically send and display on remote monitors. AwsmazingOS and GeniusStream are what I think he calls them.
Lyqyd #7
Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:57 PM
It would probably be easier to simply implement a basic TRoR system. The example implementation code in that topic should work fine. The TRoR standard is what nsh is based on, and it uses it when my framebuffer API is not present. I would suggest the lightweight solution over using an entire OS. Either a basic TRoR solution, or perhaps an auto-started nsh session at the most.

Edit: I didn't see that OP had replied above surferpup's post, whoops.