This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
gametechish's profile picture

Computer act like peripheral

Started by gametechish, 21 February 2014 - 11:12 PM
gametechish #1
Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:12 AM
I was wondering if it would be possible to have a computer act like a peripheral on a rednet network and have itself set up so you can edit the programs on it on a different computer? Thanks for the help!
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:17 AM
The short answer is "not exactly".

That is to say, computers act like peripherals over wired networks, but nothing acts as a peripheral over a wireless one. Even with the cables setup, you don't get remote drive access. That sort of thing has to be coded manually.

Sounds like nsh is what you're after.
gametechish #3
Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:05 AM
I got the program but i still dont know how to launch it Lyqyd's explanation was confuzing
Lyqyd #4
Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:37 AM
Type nsh host on the computer you want to control. If you don't know its ID, type id. Go to the computer you want to control it from. Type nsh <id>, replacing <id> with the id of the first computer.
gametechish #5
Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:45 PM
thank you it now works but Lyqyd can I edit the program so it can use any modem on any side not just top
Lyqyd #6
Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:00 PM
nsh will use a modem on any side, not just the top. What made you think it only worked with modems on the top side?
gametechish #7
Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:57 PM
nsh will use a modem on any side, not just the top. What made you think it only worked with modems on the top side?
Whenever I used it it only seemed to work on the top but the owner of CCU2 helped me and it was just a server issue