This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TechMasterGeneral's profile picture

Help with Checking username permissions

Started by TechMasterGeneral, 04 March 2014 - 02:57 PM
TechMasterGeneral #1
Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:57 PM
So… BombBloke helped me with getting the username password and permissions system up… but i'm having a problem checking the permissions…
here is the relevant code

local function checkUsrNamePerm()
    while (not users[uName]) or users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" or users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator" do
        term.clear()
        term.setCursorPos(1, 1)
        textutils.slowPrint("Enter username for verification", 25)
        uName = read()
        if (not users[uName]) or users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" or users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator" then
            print("You don't have enough permissions! Please try again.")
        else
            break
        end
    end
end
Here is the full code…
http://pastebin.com/JJGSwScm
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:16 PM
"uName" is defined as local to the whole script. Meaning that the value assigned to it when checkUNamePasswd() is called persists after that function finishes, so when it's time to call checkUsrNamePerm(), it's already set to a valid username and so that loop does nothing much.

I'd recommend placing copies of line 15:

local uName

… as the first lines in each of those two functions, then removing the original. In this way the variable will be automatically cleared when either function finishes, as opposed to when the entire script finishes.
CometWolf #3
Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:18 PM
When you ask for help, please provide some details on what's wrong. Don't just say "but im having a problem". What is the probelm, what happens, any errors, what?
TechMasterGeneral #4
Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:51 PM
When you ask for help, please provide some details on what's wrong. Don't just say "but im having a problem". What is the probelm, what happens, any errors, what?
Um… look…
So… BombBloke helped me with getting the username password and permissions system up… but i'm having a problem checking the permissions…
here is the relevant code

while (not users[uName]) or users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" or users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator" do
		term.clear()
		term.setCursorPos(1, 1)
		uName = read()
		if (not users[uName]) or users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" or users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator" then
		else
			break
		end
	end
end
Here is the full code…
http://pastebin.com/JJGSwScm
TechMasterGeneral #5
Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:04 PM
"uName" is defined as local to the whole script. Meaning that the value assigned to it when checkUNamePasswd() is called persists after that function finishes, so when it's time to call checkUsrNamePerm(), it's already set to a valid username and so that loop does nothing much.

I'd recommend placing copies of line 15:

local uName

… as the first lines in each of those two functions, then removing the original. In this way the variable will be automatically cleared when either function finishes, as opposed to when the entire script finishes.

So… when i try the checkUNamePerm() function it keeps infinitely looping when i input a username that has valid permissions…
for some reason it won't break out of the function
CometWolf #6
Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:05 PM
you don't get it… How are we supposed to know what the problem is? Does it not work at all? Does it like Bomb pointed out just check the same user over and over? Does it error? You need to tell us what you expect it to do, which it dosen't do.

So… when i try the checkUNamePerm() function it keeps infinitely looping when i input a username that has valid permissions…
for some reason it won't break out of the function
This, is what im asking for.

Your function looks like this now, right?

local uName
	    term.clear()
	    term.setCursorPos(1, 1)
	    uName = read()
	    else -- this is completely redundant btw
		    break
	    end
    end
end
Edited on 04 March 2014 - 04:14 PM
Bomb Bloke #7
Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:57 PM
users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" or users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator"

to:

(users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" and users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator")
TechMasterGeneral #8
Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:15 PM
users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" or users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator"
to:
(users[uName].permissions ~= "admin" and users[uName].permissions ~= "moderator")
That worked perfectly! thank you…
i rewrote my code so now the function at line 192 doesn't work correctly… it is supposed to keep the program from quitting after completing an action…
Edited on 05 March 2014 - 03:16 PM
Bomb Bloke #9
Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:41 PM
I'm afraid the only paste you've provided goes up to line 180.
D3matt #10
Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:56 PM
Not a solution to whatever problem you're having, but you may find it easier and more flexible to make users[uName].permissions a table against which you check whether a given permission is true or false, ie:

if users[uName] ~= nil then
  if not (users[uName].permissions["admin"] == true) or not (users[uName].permissions["moderator"] == true) then
    print("You do not have enough permissions! Please try again.")
  end
end
TechMasterGeneral #11
Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:29 PM
I'm afraid the only paste you've provided goes up to line 180.
hrm… take a look at the bitbucket code here:
https://bitbucket.or...l.lua?at=master
it's at line 204 now… i realize i need to push a new fix to the code

nvrmind… i already fixed what i saw.. :P/>
Edited on 05 March 2014 - 09:29 PM