This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
dans98's profile picture

Red Stone In Motion & Computer Craft Elevator Program Help ?

Started by dans98, 24 March 2014 - 05:53 AM
dans98 #1
Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:53 AM
I am here today with a big ask. No i am not asking anyone to write the complete piece of code, i am just asking to be pointed in the right direction as i haven't found any useful videos or info on how to do so

Here is my plan

Using Red stone in motion & Computer craft i would like to make a elevator using a carriage engine and a advance pc to move up and down around 50 blocks.
I understand the whole building side of it and have a basic lay out 3X3 blue support carriage with advance pc attached from above carriage engine

I only want it to have 2 commands and that being up and down only moving around 50 blocks either way

So i understand i need to create a start up program first locating and telling where the carriage engine is after that i am pretty clueless what to do?

I Have Also Watched this video https://www.youtube....h?v=huLSdKvvSZI
So i kinda understand the north south up and down axis
But i see in this video it needs resetting and seems to be slightly different

i am obviously only just getting started on this and have done as much research as i can ( and understand ) i have only done as far as turtles and text this would be my first so called program.

Any Help Tips ideas Question anything at all please feel free to ask

Thanks again guys for all your help
flaghacker #2
Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:15 PM
Can you give us a picture of your build? That would help allot.
andrei23 #3
Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:48 PM
I've never played with redstone in motion . But if the motors are the same as redpower's then its really simple. Just make your platform 3x3 and 3 blocks straight down from the platform.. near those 3 blocks put a motor and a block placer .. you then make a function goUp() and it should do a redstone signal to the motor and then 1 redstone signal to the block placer. and if you want to go down you send 1 signal to the motor going down and 1 signal to the block breaker.
dans98 #4
Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:56 PM
This evening i have done very little only been able to make two programs

1..( up ) called move
drive.peripheral.wrap("back")
drive.move(1, false, false)

2..(down) called down
drive.move(0, false, false

Am i right to be thinking i now need to create a loop to repeat this 49 more times ( as at the moment it only moves one block) ?

what website is the best to upload pics to ? so i am able to attach to this thread

Thanks Again
flaghacker #5
Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:55 PM
I'm still waiting for your picture(s), but I suggest not using support carriages, but just the regular green ones. Then you can have your platform build out of it, and then you should use the wrench on the sides. To prevent its from sticking to the shaft. And then you can use a turtle to auto-place the frames as the elevator moves up.
dans98 #6
Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:03 PM
ah as i am new i have to wait for my post to be checked i did reply earlier it just hasn't been accepted.
what is the best website to upload my pics too?

i did manage to make it repeat but i have hit a new problem it resets the computer every block it moves!

i wanted to try stick to the method i was using without using turtles or block placers/breakers but its looking unlikely
Cranium #7
Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:38 PM
ah as i am new i have to wait for my post to be checked i did reply earlier it just hasn't been accepted.
what is the best website to upload my pics too?
Probably use imgur, puu.sh, photobucket, or whatever strikes your fancy. As long as they allow hotlinking.
OReezy #8
Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:44 PM
I don't have any experience with Redstone in Motion, but from watching that video I think a basic elevator it would work something like this:

1. Setup your computer/motor at the base
2. Setup a monitor on each floor
[indent=1]a. Each monitor needs to be connected with network cable/modems[/indent]
[indent=1]b. Each monitor would have 2 buttons: up and down[/indent]
3. When a button is pressed start a for loop that repeats the command to move up or down

A basic for loop looks like this
for i = 1, 10 do
  --do stuff
end

More info on loops

To detect button presses you need to use events

Hope this helps.

EDIT: If it works the same way as the old redpower frames, I would try having a long pillar of frames below the actual platform that pulls/pushes it up and down. It really depends on how tall your elevator is, if this will work or not.
Edited on 24 March 2014 - 08:49 PM
dans98 #9
Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:05 AM
http://imgur.com/a/CCDXN

Do they work ? this is a trial lol

( elevator isn't in the shaft atm so i can just reduce chance of errors and frame colliding and has not been decorated )

yeah i have kept both ideas in mind i wanna try make this work via CC and the controller but looks like i have hit a brick wall so will spend another day reading and learning ahhh!!!

so where im at………
up and down moves one block (either way/separate function)
computer then resets no loop or repeat seems to work :(/>

( up ) called move
drive.move(1, false, false)

Any last ideas?
Bomb Bloke #10
Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:49 AM
IIRC, every time RiM moves a computer, that computer is forced to reboot. Hence for "constant" movements your computer(s) will need a startup script crafted such that they can continue from where they were in their travels.

I also gather that there's a bug in there somewhere that causes the computers to sometimes not reboot, but rather just turn off, requiring them to be manually kicked back into action.

If you can devise a system whereby the computers aren't moved by the elevators, that'd likely be ideal - I assume it's possible to have the engines move along an MFR RedNet cable, for eg. Another option may be to use a turtle, as that shouldn't be moved/rebooted by the engines, and can of course move itself. That may involve some creativity in terms of fuel provision, however.