This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
absthatsme's profile picture

Single player Mailing to friends single player game?

Started by absthatsme, 30 March 2014 - 02:37 AM
absthatsme #1
Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:37 AM
Is it possible that me and my friend can communicate over a chat/mailing system in our single players worlds, and if so is there one already made I can use? ( not an Lua Expert )
Goof #2
Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:28 AM
If you want to do that kindof thing, you first of all need to use the HTTP api, to store the data on a website you host. Then you can make the program Send/receive all data on that Webpage

(Free host: (Requires PHP,HTML Knowledge) www.000webhost.com )

And since this topic is in the Ask a Pro, we dont write the code for you… You need to write your own, and show us the bugs/ errors it makes…
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:03 AM
If you happen to be an early adaptor of ComputerCraft 1.6, it just so happens that there IS a chat program built into that…

Slap modems on your computers, and on one run:

chat host <hostname>

Other computers can then join that server with the command:

chat join <hostname> <username>
CometWolf #4
Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:10 AM
I believe the chat program is limited by the rednet range, so that probably won't work cross-worlds :P/>
RoD #5
Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:30 AM
I believe the chat program is limited by the rednet range, so that probably won't work cross-worlds :P/>
If you can disable the range distance in the config file you can pretty much do it cross-worlds, i think ;)/>
ardera #6
Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:35 AM
If you can disable the range distance in the config file you can pretty much do it cross-worlds, i think ;)/>
Don't think so, also, he wants to make it cross-worldsave and not cross-dimension, that means they're sitting at two different PC's in Singleplayer.
You can increase the rednet distance until you get an NumberFormatException, or disable it, but rednet won't communicate cross-worldsave.

It's not a chat program, but Thunderbird by 1lann &amp; gravityscore supports cross-worldsave communication.
Edited on 30 March 2014 - 09:37 AM
RoD #7
Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:51 AM
Don't think so, also, he wants to make it cross-worldsave and not cross-dimension, that means they're sitting at two different PC's in Singleplayer.
You can increase the rednet distance until you get an NumberFormatException, or disable it, but rednet won't communicate cross-worldsave.

It's not a chat program, but Thunderbird by 1lann &amp; gravityscore supports cross-worldsave communication.
So the only way would be trough HTML and Thunderhawk… Those are good.
Bomb Bloke #8
Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:37 PM
Ah. I'd assumed "open to LAN". Don't mind me.
RoD #9
Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:45 PM
So, absthatsme, have you got anything?
Edited on 30 March 2014 - 11:47 AM
absthatsme #10
Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:23 PM
So, absthatsme, have you got anything?
I haven't tryied anything yet