This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
sk8mn's profile picture

Computer as a Relay

Started by sk8mn, 30 May 2014 - 08:30 AM
sk8mn #1
Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:30 AM
I have two bases more than 64 blocks from each other so I set up radio masts at the skybox with wireless modems. I then have a wired network from the computer at the skybox to one in my home. and the same the other side. So I i can send a message to the radio mast which i want to know it can replay that message to the other modem which then sends the message down to the other house computer, is this possible and if it is can someone please tell me the code.
CometWolf #2
Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:15 PM
Why would you connect the base computers to the top computers with wires? lol, use wireless modems there aswell. Anyways, if you're on 1.6 there is already a program included for doing this. idk the exact name since i don't use 1.6, but it's rednet repeater or something. Just look in the rom/programs folder, it should be there.
apemanzilla #3
Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:19 PM
The program is called "repeat." If you want it to run constantly on a computer run "cp rom/programs/repeat startup"
sk8mn #4
Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:47 PM
Why would you connect the base computers to the top computers with wires? lol, use wireless modems there aswell. Anyways, if you're on 1.6 there is already a program included for doing this. idk the exact name since i don't use 1.6, but it's rednet repeater or something. Just look in the rom/programs folder, it should be there.
I use whichever build is on FTB Unleashed I'm not sure on what it is but I will check, and as the modem's range at that level is around 64 blocks it would have no way of transmitting the signal 175+ blocks up to the relay.
Dog #5
Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:54 PM
I don't believe FTB Unleashed includes cc 1.6 (apologies if I'm mistaken) - you may need to write or find a custom repeater.

FWIW, modem range increases with altitude: as a bonus, this effects both directions (computers at lower altitudes can speak with computers at higher altitudes). You can't put a wireless modem at the top of a mast (as far as I know), but by placing the repeater computers up at the build-height-limit, you'll increase their range to roughly 384 blocks (in good weather). Reference.
Edited on 31 May 2014 - 08:57 PM
sk8mn #6
Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:58 PM
I don't believe FTB Unleashed includes cc 1.6 (apologies if I'm mistaken) - you may need to write or find a custom repeater.

FWIW, modem range increases with altitude: as a bonus, this effects both directions (computers at lower altitudes can speak with computers at higher altitudes). You can't put a wireless modem at the top of a mast (as far as I know), but by placing the repeater computers up high, you'll increase their range beyond 64 blocks (in good weather).
my modem is connected to an advanced computer at the build limit so all I need to to find a relay program that can send it to the next mast.