This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
oden the fish's profile picture

wireless led sign

Started by oden the fish, 12 June 2014 - 09:58 AM
oden the fish #1
Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:58 AM
i have a tower that i want to put 4 monitors to make a "led" sign meant to look like the led signs that most business's have now i want to control it via a wireless computer but i don't know any way to do this.
i only know how to program on a basic level but i would love to see this done
newcat #2
Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:45 PM
You mean like a scrolling text? So you want to have one computer on which you can configure the text and another which controls the display ans these should communicate via rednet?
oden the fish #3
Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:33 AM
yea scrolling text
but i did make a mistake
i want to control it via a wireless computer
i meant a wireless pocket computer but if i have to ill use a normal advanced computer if i have to
KingofGamesYami #4
Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:12 PM
Yeah, you're going to have to use a normal computer, same color as the monitor you're using. See Lyqyd's response below.
Here are some things you might use:

mon = peripheral.wrap( "side" ) --#wrap the monitor
mon.write( "text" ) --#writes text on the monitor
mon.setTextScale( 5 ) --#set the monitor text to the maximum size (5)
mon.clear() --#clears the monitor
mon.getSize()  --#gets the length and width of the monitor, in characters (thus, it will give different results depending on the current text scale)
mon.setCursorPos( 1, 1 ) --#sets the cursor position to the numbers specified ( x, y )
Some other things you might be interested in:

term.redirect( mon ) --#redirects the terminal, allowing you to use the print( "text" ) command on the monitor
while true do --#an infinite loop.

If you have any questions on this stuff, the wiki is pretty helpful. If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Edited by
Lyqyd #5
Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:23 PM
You don't have to use a specific type of computer with either type of monitor. You can use any combination you like, advanced or normal monitor with advanced or normal turtle or computer.
oden the fish #6
Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:18 AM
sorry it took so long to reply but i will try these thank you for your help