This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
aradjudge's profile picture

Change Floppy Disk ID #

Started by aradjudge, 12 June 2014 - 04:03 PM
aradjudge #1
Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:03 PM
Is it possible to change the ID of a Floppy Disk? I was using a disk and moving it around writing some programs and then it disappeared. I don't know what happened, but it is gone.

I know that if I go into the Computer file on the server I can find the old disk id folder and copy those files into the new disk id folder. Making everything all good and pretty much the same.

For aesthetic value though I would like to be able to change this if possible so that I don't have random disk ID folders that don't lead to anything. If deleted they just leave gaps in the folder titles for example 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 9.

Thank You Much!
Lyqyd #2
Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:34 PM
The disk ID might be stored as the damage value. Or it might not. You might need to use an NBT editor if it isn't. How often do you really go looking through the disks folder though, that any gaps in the folder numbers would be so annoying as to be a problem? Also, the game won't ever delete the folders and you never really need to know the disk IDs for normal use, so what difference does it make?
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:17 PM
The disk ID might be stored as the damage value. Or it might not.

It's not.
aradjudge #4
Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:16 AM
The disk ID might be stored as the damage value. Or it might not. You might need to use an NBT editor if it isn't.

If is is difficult I will learn to deal with it. Just thought there might be some easy way to do it.

How often do you really go looking through the disks folder though, that any gaps in the folder numbers would be so annoying as to be a problem? Also, the game won't ever delete the folders and you never really need to know the disk IDs for normal use, so what difference does it make?

I go through the files relatively often as I do very little editing of programs inside Minecraft itself. With that said I have currently a system that deals with players carrying key cards for access to different areas. This is not the first time that one has magicked itself away. It is also not the last time one will be lost either. If I could change the ID's when one goes away I could simply change the ID and all would be well. As apposed to creating the new disk having a new ID and moving programs over. Unless there is a way to bring back that disk with that ID?

With all that said, I have started to work towards just storing everything on the computers and the floppy disks having a really generic startup program.