This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ReluctantUser's profile picture

Two Computers, Same Input

Started by ReluctantUser, 28 June 2014 - 01:03 AM
ReluctantUser #1
Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:03 AM
Hi there. New user. I suck at programming, but I've yet to find a single tutorial answering my question, so here I go, giving the forums a shot.

I'm making a big door driven by carriage framework. There is a single computer in the front. This computer has a simple program, where it either opens or closes the door based on what password you give it.

Now, I want (on the other side of the door, further inside the complex) another computer where I can input passwords for the program on the first computer. Basically, I want the second computer to be a remote-controlled first one. Hard to explain.

It's all connected through wires and both computers are opened and receiving. Is there no simple command for sending my password from one computer to the other? Do I really have to go all-out code bonanza crazy to make this work? I just want a big, thick door that can be opened from two computers sharing input. Or should I just scrap the entire thing and use some other design?
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:20 AM
Why not just give the second computer an identical copy of the script the first computer is running? If both systems connect to the same redstone wire, then wouldn't the door respond the same regardless as to which computer is used to open it?
Carrots084 #3
Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:56 PM
While i would do it the same as the above answer, try rednet.send("<password>") and have the other recieveing.
Agoldfish #4
Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:28 AM
I may misunderstanding, but if the password is correct on the first, it is automatically correct on the second? If so, why need the second one.