This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
bomber1949's profile picture

Open peripherals- tracking

Started by bomber1949, 22 July 2014 - 04:30 PM
bomber1949 #1
Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:30 PM
so, I'm new to computer craft, and open peripherals…
I play on a Multilayer server on the crack pack ATL
I killed a guy wearing terminal glass, which I though were the glasses from openblock…
I got messages from him saying he know my co-ords, due to his glasses…
he was right, he even said what I had in my hand ad inventory….
I went to spawn, and a random tp… he told me "there is no point in running i can find you"
he got banned for duping later that day-thank god

but what i want to know is how to program this,
all i know is i need the terminal glasses, terminal bride, and some computer craft stuff

I've looked for a tutorial on YouTube, but i can't find any and i can't understand at the technical talk from people in other forums
so I'm simply asking, if someone can tell me how to do, picture or very detailed explanation would be great, im 16 and i have no idea how to code, other than just play with worm and paint with computer craft, if there is even a YouTube video that explains it would be great

ps apologies in grammar and spelling, I'm dyslexic
Cranium #2
Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:32 PM
Moved to Ask A Pro.
hilburn #3
Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:54 PM
Frankly, no. Terminal glasses are tricky as hell, lacking a bunch of functionality you get from a terminal and monitor (such as getSize()) but at the same time add a lot of cool stuff, like being able to manipulate boxes and shapes on a pixel basis rather than per character block, being able to set transparencies etc. I really would not recommend starting your CC career with them.

That said, there are no methods in the terminal glasses that would allow someone to track your position or view your inventory with them. It's possible that if you were in a very specific area then that stuff could be picked up by the sensor peripheral, but that only has a range of 5m by default. If you were still inside his house then it would be just about feasible he would be able to use that to track you, but not after a /tp. So odds are he was pissed you killed him and was trolling you.

He also clearly had no idea how to use the glasses, as if someone killed me and stole them I would make another pair to allow myself to use chat_command events, recode the graphics program for the bridge to "on receiving command from me, draw a full screen opaque black box over his screen" walked up to him, blinded him before killing him, taking all of his things, breaking his bed and releasing upwards of 20 stacks of chickens in his base. I do ot believe in proportional response
BaRF #4
Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:26 AM
lol, propotional response? :P/> I think releasing some chickens is kinda mild for a kill right? There ARE people out there who get out their buckets o' lava :blink:/> Luckily I only play at friendly server ;)/>

But ontopic, would be handy though if you'd have a password on your glasses, or some sort of built-in sensor so that it would only work for you.
hilburn #5
Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:05 AM
You can actually code that in quite easily with two of the functions available on the bridge:

bridge.getUsers() --#returns a table of all users wearing glasses connected to that bridge
bridge.getUserSurface(username) --#allows you to draw privately to someone's glasses based on their username

And then have some code which just prints something like "Give me back my glasses you douchenozzle" over and over again all over any screen not in use by your username

Also chickens are WAY more annoying than lava in a tech base, lava is blocked by all power, item and fluid cables, advanced redstone wires, machines etc so really will only be a surface problem. Pulverize some cobble into gravel and then you can clear that mess up in short order.

Chickens… at under one block high they can get in between wiring nests that require complete disassembly (or very good aim with a bow) to kill them, they will likely migrate into any underground single block high tunnels you have and make noise and drop eggs all over the place, again requiring complete disassembly. 50 chickens becomes 500 in very short order which, when combined with the several hundred eggs floating around in their base is a LOT of entities which will lag them pretty badly when they log in. The also bypass all anti-griefing plugins and mods which prevent placement of blocks, flowing of lava etc in a protected area. Combine this with a "Cluck Cluck Motherf*cker" message printed to their (stolen) glasses just to leave them in no doubt it was in retaliation for that theft…