This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
JPROSP8's profile picture

Touch screen Menu Direwolf20 Button API

Started by JPROSP8, 02 August 2014 - 02:04 PM
JPROSP8 #1
Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:04 PM
I plan I making a tinkers construct setup using computers as a method of transportation. How would I make a menu using direwolf20 button api. Thanks
LeonTheMisfit #2
Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:08 PM
As much as I love Dire, his button API really isn't the greatest. There are many on the forums that work better. You should search around and check some of them out.
MatthewC529 #3
Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:37 AM
If you can avoid it, try to avoid Direwolf's API. I love dire and watch his video's daily for entertainment and to keep up to date on Mod's but his API is not flexible in the least. It was made to be basic and it does what it is made for perfectly, but fits only a narrow use case. If I could personally recommend an easy to use API for Buttons and even more I would recommend:

Touchpoint by Lyqyd – Pretty much made to be a great replacement for the DW20 API
GUI.API by account.username
Button Grid API by LeonTheMisfit
Object Oriented Button Module by Myself (shameless plug :D/> )

All of which were designed for simplicity and general purpose use. It is just extremely troublesome adapting DireWolf's API to general purpose use since in some cases it requires you to modify the API itself.

If none of these fit your needs or are seemingly complex there are PLENTY of Button API's in API's and Utilities. If you have any particular questions about a specific one we would love to help.

Edit: Added Touchpoint out of Lyqyd's and Leon's recommendation and after reading it. It is perfect for those seeking a great DW20-like Button API
Edited on 04 August 2014 - 07:10 PM
Lyqyd #4
Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:12 PM
If you're recommending APIs to use in place of DW20's, you should probably include Touchpoint. It's what his API would be if it followed better Lua idioms and API design.
LeonTheMisfit #5
Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:53 PM
If you can avoid it, try to avoid Direwolf's API. I love dire and watch his video's daily for entertainment and to keep up to date on Mod's but his API is not flexible in the least. It was made to be basic and it does what it is made for perfectly, but fits only a narrow use case. If I could personally recommend an easy to use API for Buttons and even more I would recommend:

GUI.API by account.username
Button Grid API by LeonTheMisfit
Object Oriented Button Module by Myself (shameless plug :D/> )

All of which were designed for simplicity and general purpose use. It is just extremely troublesome adapting DireWolf's API to general purpose use since in some cases it requires you to modify the API itself.

If none of these fit your needs or are seemingly complex there are PLENTY of Button API's in API's and Utilities. If you have any particular questions about a specific one we would love to help.

I wasn't going to plug my own API so thanks for including it :P/> Lyqyd is right though, before I wrote my API I used his for a couple of things and it does work well.
MatthewC529 #6
Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:06 PM
If you're recommending APIs to use in place of DW20's, you should probably include Touchpoint. It's what his API would be if it followed better Lua idioms and API design.

Agreed. Edited my reply to include Touchpoint API.

-snip-
I wasn't going to plug my own API so thanks for including it :P/> Lyqyd is right though, before I wrote my API I used his for a couple of things and it does work well.

No problem, I chose API's I feel are nice and friendly. I agree, Lyqyd's Touchpoint API is a great implementation of a DW20-like API, takes DW20 and improves it (in my opinion, extensively), I added it to my reply.
Edited on 04 August 2014 - 07:08 PM