This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TechnoColt's profile picture

Melee Turtle Causing Framerate Drops

Started by TechnoColt, 07 August 2014 - 07:46 PM
TechnoColt #1
Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:46 PM
Hello. I've been playing on the Direwolf20 Feed the Beast pack and I decided to use a Melee Turtle, along with a Minefactory Auto-Spawner, to make a mob farm. I downloaded an attack script from this post. Unfortunately, when I tested the script to make sure it worked, my frame rate dropped from 120 fps to 20 fps. Is there any easy way to fix this? I love using ComputerCraft, but this kind of performance hit is unacceptable. :(/> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KingofGamesYami #2
Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:02 PM
Increase

sleep( .1 )
to

sleep( 1 )
And it will not attack as fast
TechnoColt #3
Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:32 AM
Thank you for your reply. While this helps, it still isn't a true fix. Every time the Turtle attacks, now once per second, my game still stutters. It's better than it was, but it's still fairly jarring. Why does a simple attack tank my game so much?
Cranium #4
Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:52 AM
I can't seem to reproduce this issue. I see that the pack you are using is an outdated version of ComputerCraft. I've not had any problems with ComputerCraft 1.57 before, and I most certainly do not have any issues with version 1.63 that's available for the same MInecraft version you're using.

Do you have Optifine installed? Optifine causes some strange bugs when it comes to rendering, and since turtles are animated, that may be the cause of your issue.
TechnoColt #5
Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:33 PM
Nope, no Optifine. I learned a long time ago that Optifine doesn't play well with Forge. I've updated CC to 1.6, and I'll try 1.63 later today to see if it fixes my problem. I don't think it's an animation issue, as I get the frame rate drops even when the Turtle doesn't actually perform an attack. It would seem something in the turtle.attack() function is using up most of Minecraft's available processing power when it runs, since the Turtle isn't using much more RAM than normal.
Cranium #6
Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:47 PM
Well, again, I think you have something else eating up the tick rate. I just cannot reproduce this issue at all, nor have I experienced it in any previous versions without massive walls of turtles doing infinite loops.
TechnoColt #7
Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:27 AM
-shrug- I guess CC just doesn't like my computer. I've since replaced the turtle with an Autonomous Activator. Thanks for the help.