This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
souperdavecdn's profile picture

Power Failure = Turtle now end's any excavate immediately

Started by souperdavecdn, 26 August 2014 - 06:30 AM
souperdavecdn #1
Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM
I'm only asking as I'm playing SSP and I'd lose 5-6 hours work if I restored (my last backup).

One of my turtles was excavating and I had a power failure. After the pc came back on my world fired up no problem and everything looked alright except for the 1 turtle. Screen shot of what is does when I try to excavate anywhere below. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Worst case scenario I can restore, but as I say - that'd mean a loss of 5-6 hours building.

Thanks very much,

Soup

theoriginalbit #2
Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:58 AM
This is a new one for me, this is the only suggestion I have.
Label the Turtle, so you don't lose the programs and fuel level, then break and re-place it.
souperdavecdn #3
Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:56 PM
Thanks theoriginalbit I did do that, ya - interesting - same problem still.
Lyqyd #4
Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:58 PM
Copy the files off, remove the label, break and re-place the turtle, and copy the files back on.
souperdavecdn #5
Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:05 PM
Thanks Lyqyd, done. No change and I suspect I messed up my backup - was tired when I did it. Because, I just tried it and the problem persists? There are no files outside of .\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft correct? I backup this whole directory. This of course could mean I have a windows problem (after power failure?).

Noticed a symptom maybe - the lastid.txt file is indicating 4 - should it not be the same as the latest turtle I created - (i understand that id and label are not the same thing)? In order to track my turtles (until my coding skills improve) I have files in their roots like "id_0" and "im_<label>" so I know which turtle I'm looking at inside the game or out.

Thanks guys, I'm going to look for some hdd maintenance/integrity tools to eliminate the hdd as this looks like voodoo to me.
Edited on 26 August 2014 - 03:28 PM
souperdavecdn #6
Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:26 PM
Update. "Always check if it's plugged in 1st" k.i.s.s. and all that. I was scratching my head tinkering around and noticed - the damn diamond axe was gone! I mean, it was still trying to excavate man. Never tried excavate without an axe before? Should it even try? Ah well, I crafted another diamond axe and put it on the turtle and so far it's fine.

Mark this solved, thanks for your help guys,

soup
Bomb Bloke #7
Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:31 AM
Yes, I suppose lack of a tool would do that. :lol:/>

If the world crashes while a given turtle is moving, ComputerCraft will commonly lose track of said turtle's ID and therefore decide that it's a newly placed one. As a result, it loses any files that were stored on it, its label, its fuel level, and any items that it was carrying or equipped with.

Rarely this also happens when you pickaxe moving turtles. Very rarely, but it's still a good idea to halt them if you want to dig them up. CC 1.6 claims to fix such issues.
souperdavecdn #8
Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:58 AM
Ah, thanks Bomb, I'll make sure I'm backing up my programs directory!