This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
newcat's profile picture

Let turtle place a turtle with a startup program

Started by newcat, 31 August 2014 - 03:51 PM
newcat #1
Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:51 PM
Hello,

for a project I need a master turtle to place several other turtles, which all have a startup program. The master turtle should be able to give each placed turtle a seperate program.
Is there any way to this? I already tried to mount the "slave" as peripheral, but according to the CC-Wiki there are only these functions:
computer.turnOn() nil Turns on the Computer or Turtle.
computer.shutdown() nil Shuts off the Computer or Turtle.
computer.reboot() nil Reboots the Computer or Turtle.
computer.getID() number computerID Gets the ID of the Computer or Turtle.

I saw something like this in this thread, but I don't know how it's done.
Edited on 31 August 2014 - 03:53 PM
Dragon53535 #2
Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:59 PM
You could have it carry a disk and a disk drive with it, (disk in slot 16) and have it write the program you want for the turtle into it's startup and computer.turnOn() the turtle. However i believe you'd want to have it either download a file as startup to the turtle from pastebin, or copy a file from the disk and save it as startup so that the turtle will always use that program
hilburn #3
Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:41 PM
Generally the best solution is to have an installer program called "startup" on a disk drive along with all the programs that you want the turtle to use, you can then reboot the computer and the startup program will copy all the files across to the turtle
TheOddByte #4
Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:28 PM
If you're in creative mod you can label a turtle, edit the startup then break the turtle to get it in your inventory.
Now you can duplicate it and use it. If you're not in creative then I suggest you take a look at how the person who created the turtle mining swarm did it http://pastebin.com/pa8LvVWe