This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
iceman11a's profile picture

Using CC with AE2 for MC 1.7.10

Started by iceman11a, 14 September 2014 - 06:43 AM
iceman11a #1
Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:43 AM
What I'm trying to do is to get the pc to give me a list of methods from the device on the right side of the pc. I have a ME Terminal attached to the pc on the right side. and the terminal is attached to a ME Network. The network is power up and running. the code is below.

local tArgs = { ... }
local side = tArgs[1]
tPer = peripheral.getMethods(side)
for k,v in pairs(tPer) do
print(k..": "..v)
end

when I run the code. I get a bad argument: table expected got nil. can some one give me an idea on what to do. The idea is that I want to be able to run a program that will let me make a order for some thing like a shovel. and then tell the ME Network to craft it. Do I have to have open peripheral installed for some thing like this. I wasn't told that it's required.
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:39 AM
Here's a list of peripherals that ComputerCraft supports. If a block's not on it, you can assume a different mod is required to add that functionality.

OpenPeripheral adds support for most blocks of interest, and I'd assume that's the mod you want for AE integration. However, don't expect to find decent documentation for OpenPeripheral. To see if a given version adds support for a given block, you're expected to start out by installing that version and testing it to see.
iceman11a #3
Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:33 PM
Thanks. How ever I see that OpenPeripheral's doesn't support AE2. I been looking and as far as i can see there isn't one. I watched a Mod Spotlight on it and there was no chat on that subject. I guess I need to try and find a AE2 Peripheral for computercraft
Dragon53535 #4
Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:13 PM
Are you using the OpenPeripheral's peripheral proxy block?
iceman11a #5
Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:16 PM
No. as far as I know OpenPeripheral's doesn't support AE2, AE2 is way too new and just came out. That's why I don't know what I will do. I guess nothing I can do.
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:02 AM
OpenPeripheral has apparently been coded to attempt to add certain commands to certain types of blocks, meaning that sometimes specific support isn't required. I maintain that the best (and indeed, only reliable way) to find out if it works is to try it.
iceman11a #7
Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:41 AM
Yes, That's true, How ever I did check that out. The description says it works with CC version 1.6.3. From what I read. That there is a support for AE, How ever not AE2, I wanted to post a message. The coder closed the thread and lock the post. I don't have a way to contact him. The description all so didn't tell me what version of minecraft it support also. So I'm confused. Look if you did some thing that I didn't. Please let me know. I'm still looking. The problem is that AE2 with autocrafting is very new.
Bomb Bloke #8
Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:50 AM
Oh, hang on - MC 1.7.10? CC doesn't have a stable release for that yet, and at this rate probably never will. I don't believe there's a compatible version of OpenPeripheral either, so for that reason AE2 support is a moot point.
iceman11a #9
Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:54 AM
From what I just read, I agree with you. I think AE2 is too new and OP I don't know if they ever will add AE2 to it. and as for CC. I think they will only add Peripheral for their items in computercraft. The description states that. It was just a dream. If you come up with any ideas please let me know.
theoriginalbit #10
Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:44 PM
Yes there is an OpenPeripheral for 1.7.10 but it is still being worked on and it probably won't be released until ComputerCraft goes stable, nor does the main mod integration have a project (is that the right term?) on the Jenkins build server. You can keep up-to-date with the development on any of the OpenMods mods by going to their GitHub page.
Edited on 15 September 2014 - 02:44 PM
iceman11a #11
Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:27 PM
Thanks, How ever I didn't want to have to try and compile them. It's ok, I can do with out until the release. Mayby you can help me with some other things. I been learning how to use the Peripheral with a computer and a monitor. The problem is I been doing some searching and I was looking for some sample code. that could give me some ideas on what I can do using both the computer and monitor. Some samples would be great. I'll just have to wait until stable versions of CC and OpenPeripheral's get released.
Cranium #12
Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:46 PM
You uhh…don't have to compile it yourself…
If you go to the Jenkins build server that theoriginalbit linked to, you can get a prebuild version. Just keep in mind that it may be buggy, and/or might not have the features you want.
iceman11a #13
Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:31 PM
Ok, I download 3 files related to the mod. I didn't put them on my main sever. Just the local server. That way I can play with them and see if I can get what i need. and Thanks
iceman11a #14
Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:10 PM
I wanted to update you with what happen and it's not good. They must have change some some or all of the methods. Sence none of the ones I have work for this version. as the following code does'n't work. I keep getting the nil on line 2. so I guess they must have changed it a lot.

bridge = peripheral.wrap("left")
bridge.clear()
bridge.addBox(5,5,70,10,0xFFFFFF,0.5) -- doesn't work
bridge.addText(6,6,"Hello WOrld", 0x123456) -- doesn't work

If you have any ideas please let me know.
Dragon53535 #15
Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:22 PM
If that's your only code then that means that it probably can't be wrapped as line 2 is bridge.clear(). Of course this relies on the error being attempt to index ? (a nil value)
iceman11a #16
Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:47 PM
Thanks, How ever U did find out they did change one thing on these lines.
The old way

bridge.addBox(5,5,70,10,0xFFFFFF,0.5) -- doesn't work
bridge.addText(6,6,"Hello WOrld", 0x123456) -- doesn't work
The new way

bridge.addBox(5,5,70,10,oxFFFFFF,0.5) -- doesn't work
bridge.addText(6,6,"Hello WOrld", ox123456) -- doesn't work

Do you see the change that was made. It's the color code. It should be 0x123456, How ever I type it in wrong and got it to work using ox123456. So I'm confused. Any way. I need more info on this mod. I just can't go into to it blind. Like i just did.

I using a video off youtube to help me with some of the code and samples. The problem is what he does. I can't do. I tried to add a wired modem to a mfsu and read it and have it return info and I can't seem to attached a modem to it. So I don't know what to do.
iceman11a #17
Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:18 AM
I'm still looking for some code samples. For accessing a monitor and what I can do and some tutorials on using the lua code. I still can't get some thing to connect to other things, Like being able to watch the energy in a cell. I can't get the wired modem to connect to the batbox or an MFSU. I been playing with Openperipheral on my test world, and Some of it does work. It's just I can't play with some of the samples I do have.
Bomb Bloke #18
Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:25 PM
If a wired modem can't "connect" to a given block you've placed it against, then you can assume your current mod cocktail doesn't support that block as a peripheral.

Can't really comment on your "samples" without a) seeing them and b) knowing what happened when you tried them.

Definitely run through this for some good general knowledge on peripherals.

You may be able to work around some lack-of-peripheral-support limitations using a comparator; a handy little construct which can be used to gauge how full a given block is. This'd at least let you get some idea of "energy levels" and so on.
iceman11a #19
Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:19 PM
Can't really comment on your "samples" without a) seeing them and B)/> knowing what happened when you tried them.

BB, Thanks and never mind. Your not getting the idea. I'm not looking for some one to comment on samples. I'm looking for samples.
I'll check out the web sites. and remember that I do have Openperipheral installed and I been playing with that. I'm only going by what I see on video tutorals, and Yes, some times they are old.
Edited on 17 September 2014 - 04:25 PM