This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
lebuildman's profile picture

I need a Better Explanation about these...

Started by lebuildman, 22 September 2014 - 12:57 AM
lebuildman #1
Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:57 AM
I've opened the files, tried to recreate, but I still don't understand:

1.lua (Lua Prompt of CC, not the Language)

I asked for Lua before the MultiShell, and the Explanation Given don't make any sense for me
For example: I get by a = read() the string "derp", and now my program need to run derp(). How?

2.multishell (Both API and Program of the MultiTask)

I'm making a RedNet Application Suite, based on rewrites of old programs and new ones made by myself. And I want a Custom MultiTask System.
My Idea is: Create a like-Default version of CC MultiTask BUT I run the "fg/bg" as "fg/bg <program> <tabname>", and show in the Tab <tabname>. I already have a Pre-Script made for this and I will transform the "fg/bg" in API Functions, but I need a Help with it… And about the ProgramToAPI part, I made this with Pastebin Program such as Others (Inclusive the "fg/bg"!)
Edited on 22 September 2014 - 01:00 AM
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:56 AM
I asked for Lua before the MultiShell, and the Explanation Given don't make any sense for me

What explanation are you talking about? I can't make sense of what you mean by "asking for Lua before the Multishell", I'm afraid.

For example: I get by a = read() the string "derp", and now my program need to run derp(). How?

Before answering that, I suppose a better question would be "why"? Running functions according to what a user types in can certainly be done, but I can't think of any practical application that couldn't be performed a better way.

My Idea is: Create a like-Default version of CC MultiTask BUT I run the "fg/bg" as "fg/bg <program> <tabname>", and show in the Tab <tabname>. I already have a Pre-Script made for this and I will transform the "fg/bg" in API Functions, but I need a Help with it… And about the ProgramToAPI part, I made this with Pastebin Program such as Others (Inclusive the "fg/bg"!)

Um, I guess start with the multishell API, if you haven't already read it.
Lyqyd #3
Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:05 AM
Essentially, it would be really helpful if you explained exactly what it is you're trying to do that leads you to want to know about these things. Knowledge for its own sake is good, but it seems like you've got a project in mind, and you may have selected a harder than necessary way of doing it. If you fully explain the idea and the thought process that led you to this point, we may be able to point out an easier/better way to do it.