This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
travy641's profile picture

Display text to wireless or hardwired monitors

Started by travy641, 04 October 2014 - 12:37 AM
travy641 #1
Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:37 AM
I am new to programming in lua and I am trying to figure out how to display text onto a monitor without the monitor having to be next to a computer. I want the monitor to be able to display results such as for example if a door is open it will say the entrance door is open and when it closes then display the door in so and so location was closed. I pretty much want a monitor that i can monitor all activity of doors, lights, stuff like that. How would i do that as far as the computer sending and receiving and then putting the messages onto the monitor. I've found similar stuff but they don't show the code so i don't have any idea how it might look. I know how to display text onto a monitor with a computer next to it but that's really about it nothing advanced or i wouldn't be on this site seeking help on this subject. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:51 AM
Stick a wired modem on the computer and the monitor. String network cable between the two, then right click the modem on the monitor to "connect" it.

When connected, you'll see a chat message giving you the monitor's "name" on the little network you just created. Use this name when wrapping the peripheral (in place of the "side" you'd've entered if the computer and monitor were directly touching).

Wireless modems don't offer peripheral connectivity in the way wired modems do - they only allow you to send data between computers. However, you can have one computer wirelessly send data to another, then the other can splat it on to a monitor.
travy641 #3
Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:01 AM
The computer doesn't say anything only has a blinking cursor like when you first turn on the computer before you load a program….
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:44 AM
… if you're saying you'd expect the "chat" message I was talking about to show up on the computer's display, you should be looking at the area where regular chat messages go. As in, the area of the screen where you see what other players are saying to you.

If that's not what you're talking about, explain what you're doing and what you expect to see as a result.