This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
james222's profile picture

Creating my own kernel

Started by james222, 05 October 2014 - 05:52 PM
james222 #1
Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:52 PM
Hi everyone. I've generated interest in creating my own operating system. I'm still unsure how a kernel would be implemented in computercraft. Let's say I create my own, how will I make it override the computer's os? Will it just be a program running off another os, or it will be a real OS? Thanks in advance!
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:48 AM
When a ComputerCraft system boots, it runs the bios.lua script (which is found in the ComputerCraft mod archive). This script loads important APIs, defines important functions, and finally launches the shell.

You can override that script on all systems by way of a resource pack. You cannot override it on a system-specific basis (though it's an often-asked for feature).

You may be better off making a basic shell, or even just a menu system, rather than a full-on OS.
logsys #3
Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:00 PM
When a ComputerCraft system boots, it runs the bios.lua script (which is found in the ComputerCraft mod archive). This script loads important APIs, defines important functions, and finally launches the shell.

You can override that script on all systems by way of a resource pack. You cannot override it on a system-specific basis (though it's an often-asked for feature).

You may be better off making a basic shell, or even just a menu system, rather than a full-on OS.
You can also do a top level override, and override bios.lua, although rom is still read-only, you can make your own ROM. Like the ROM flasher by Mr. Bateman