This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ZagKalidor's profile picture

perpheral network

Started by ZagKalidor, 26 October 2014 - 08:31 AM
ZagKalidor #1
Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:31 AM
Is there a restriction for the number of peripherals on a network or is the number of peripherals endless?
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:17 AM
The only hard limit I'm aware of is that wired network cables only work along distances of 256 segments in a row. Depending on your layout, that still theoretically allows for tens of thousands of peripherals. Calculating exactly how many would certainly be an interesting exercise!

In practise, I've only heard of a couple of hundred or so being used at a time.

If there is a programmed hard limit (as opposed to the one that comes from only being able to place a certain number of blocks within range of your computer), I'm fairly certain it'd be per-wired modem.
ZagKalidor #3
Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:01 AM
Ok thanks.

So, i will be restricted by "cable-lenghth". Main purpose would be approx. 2000 wired modems but thats a really long road to go, a lot of work in the cave. I have to figure out what 256 wires means to my project. It surely can be expanded by filtering computers with wireless modems, controlling every strand, so it seems to be endless. Maybe i could feedback some data (someday). I just wanted to know if i can go on with that thought.

Thanks Bomb Bloke. You really saved a big project…