This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
infinitebrainspace's profile picture

cc 1.6.5 mc 1.7.10 startup not running at chunk load

Started by infinitebrainspace, 20 November 2014 - 12:31 AM
infinitebrainspace #1
Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:31 AM
I've looked everywhere, but am unable to find an answer… I have a turtle located in the world spawn chunk, and when I click on it to initialize it, it runs startup just fine. However, when the server is stopped and restarted, the startup script does not run ( until I click on it). There are lots of posts out there, but none about this particular version of cc / mc. Please direct me to a post that will tell me what to do about this if there is one, or give me some clue as to what I can do.
Thanks in advance.. Infnitebrainspace.
Dragon53535 #2
Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:25 AM
Unless human contact is established a turtle hibernates when the world reloads. The wild is a wondrous thing…

On a slightly more serious note, until you start the computer/turtle up, it's turned off. As for it not running when you load the chunks, when the turtle is unloaded, it shuts down since it is not loaded either. When a computer is reloaded it returns to it's default state, off, and until you turn it on, it's going to stay off.
Edited on 20 November 2014 - 03:25 AM
Lyqyd #3
Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:03 AM
No, computers that were running when a chunk unloads should boot up when the chunk reloads. Any other behavior is a bug, and if the bug is present in the current version (CC 1.65), it should be reported.
infinitebrainspace #4
Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:11 PM
This was a problem in previous versions of cc, but also worked In others. I don't have specifics on which did or didn't , but I've had some pretty elaborate systems going that did not require me to "touch" 350 computers. How does a bug get reported? also, since nobody knows me from a creeper, are the powers that be going to even listen?

I've read several posts from Lua Liquidator, and will (with all due respect to dragon) accept his assessment of the problem.
Lyqyd #5
Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:54 PM
Bug reports are all treated equally. You would report a bug by posting in the Bugs section on the forum, following the guidelines laid out in the sticky post in that section.

Before you post a bug report, what behavior is the turtle exhibiting/not exhibiting that leads you to believe it isn't booting when the chunk is loaded up? Can you post the startup code from the turtle, along with the code it is running (if any) when you leave the chunks/stop the server?
infinitebrainspace #6
Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:56 PM
– startup script
cb = peripheral.wrap("top") – command block
cb.setCommand("tell @a the startup code is running")
while true do
sleep(5)
cb.runCommand()
end
– end script

the above script is typed (not copy/pasted) from actual script

I click on turtle, and it sends message to all players every 5 seconds
if all players log off, and wait a few minutes, then I log on, and wait for message.
it never comes. I click on turtle and message comes in about 5 seconds.
I tp 1000 blocks, and message still comes (turtle is in World spawn chunk)
I log off, and back on, no message comes. Click on turtle, message comes as expected.

this is SMP Server, I am op'd, but problem happens if I'm in either C or S mode.
Edited on 20 November 2014 - 07:02 PM
Lyqyd #7
Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:03 PM
Have you tried going to the chunk and waiting a moment to see if it turns on? Have you tried putting a chunk loader in that chunk (spawn is always loaded, yes, but I've seen weird behavior there before)? Just for fun, can you try using a computer instead of the turtle?

From what you're saying, it does sound like it's not being restarted correctly, but I'd like to eliminate other possible causes.
infinitebrainspace #8
Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:17 PM
I will try a computer… Yes I have tried waiting for several minutes, I have logged on / off right next to the turtle, as well as miles away.
I have tried tickleing it with redstone, spinning it in a forever loop. I've even tried kicking it a couple times, and hitting it with a carrot. I even forced the world spawn point to change to the turtles location - even though it was already in the WSC to start with. anyway, the WSC part is working. it stays loaded as long as at least one player is ANYWHERE in Overworld.

I will get back to you after I try a computer (im going to try a base computer (not advanced).
Lyqyd #9
Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:31 PM
The chunk loader might also be valuable to try. The ChickenChunks mod is included in many packs. Other than the computer/turtle test and the explicit chunk loading test, it looks like you've tried everything else. At this point though, it looks like there really is a startup bug, even if these suggestions work. If your server isn't running MCPC+/Cauldron/etc., you'll probably want to post a bug report anyway, though these findings will be valuable to include in the report.
infinitebrainspace #10
Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:35 PM
Total BS! It's working now…. even on the turtle. Did someone update my CC since we talked last?

I even checked to make sure there were no other players on-server. I log out, wait 20 - 30 seconds,
and log back in. (no other players) and I get message. This has been going on for 3 days now, and I could not figure out what the problem is.. now that I get a pro to talk to me, it friggin works. Well I can appreciate my PC customers now, when they tell me "it didn't work until you showed up!".
Keep watching this thread for a few days. It may happen again.

Soooooooo Confused!

My server is running MCPC, but not MCPC+ (I don't know how to tell the difference)
Edited on 20 November 2014 - 07:36 PM
infinitebrainspace #11
Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:44 PM
OK… I stayed disconnected a few minutes, and now it's broke again. Evidently the server stays on for a few minutes after the last player logs off. My bad. I was so happy it worked, and now.. oh well.

what does MCPC do, and can I get rid of it?
Edited on 20 November 2014 - 07:46 PM
valithor #12
Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:40 PM
OK… I stayed disconnected a few minutes, and now it's broke again. Evidently the server stays on for a few minutes after the last player logs off. My bad. I was so happy it worked, and now.. oh well.

what does MCPC do, and can I get rid of it?

MCPC is a mix between forge and bukkit. It allows the use of bukkit plugins such as essentials. If you do not want to have bukkit plugins then you can remove it and run a forge only server. This problem is very common on mcpc/cauldron servers, and is, to the best of my knowledge, not easily fixable.
infinitebrainspace #13
Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:27 PM
maybe this should be a different topic…..How do I uninstall / disable MCPC on my SMP server / client.. I do not have any bukkit plugins.
valithor #14
Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:35 PM
maybe this should be a different topic…..How do I uninstall / disable MCPC on my SMP server / client.. I do not have any bukkit plugins.

Well MCPC is the jar file that you run to actually start the server… so you will have to go and find the jar file for a forge server and run that instead. To the best of my knowledge, it should not break anything, since MCPC has files organized the same as forge.
infinitebrainspace #15
Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:52 AM
ran same scenario on Single Player and did not have a problem. again with same version of MC CC Forge and MCPC. I logged off game for 10 minutes, and went back in. CC computer ran startup as it should. (although in SP this is the same as shutting down the server) This now seems to be MP / Server specific. I still haven't found out which Forge to download that does not contain MCPC. The Forge download site does not specify which has or has not got the MCPC included. I joined the MinecraftForge forum and am waiting a reply from them.
infinitebrainspace #16
Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:15 AM
I'm starting to get frustrated. The forge guy said it was the first on on the Download page (for MC 1.7.10), so I downloaded it and installed it. I still show the following mods:
Minecraft Coder Pack 9.05 - 0 child mods
Forge Mod Loader 7.10.85.1236 - 0 child mods
MineCraft Forge 10.13.2.1236 - 0 child mods
ComputerCraft 1.65 - 0 child mods

It is my assumption that the minecraft Coder pack is MCPC… or should I quit assuming stuff I really know nothing about?
Dragon53535 #17
Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:38 AM
The minecraft coder pack is not MCPC. MCPC stands for Minecraft Port Central. MCPC can be found Here. While the Minecraft Coder Pack can be found Here.

The Minecraft Coder Pack is used by modders to easily mod minecraft without having to do too much. (You still have to do stuff, just not as much as you would have to do without it)

MCPC is used to port bukkit plugins to work with mods (or is it the other way arround) so that modded servers can have certain plugins they might want like worldedit and such.
Edited on 25 November 2014 - 02:43 AM
infinitebrainspace #18
Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:48 AM
OK. That's good news and bad news. good news is, I don't have MCPC. Bad news is… well I thought I did, and that makes me feel rather stupid.

BUT! I now have good reason to report a bug…so I will.

Thanks again for all the info. I'll try not to make assumptions in the future.