This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Communeguy's profile picture

Networking Questions Regarding Overlaps

Started by Communeguy, 26 November 2014 - 01:24 AM
Communeguy #1
Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:24 AM
I've been developing a user credentialing system for a while now. It's part of a larger, creative-mode build that I'm working on in TechWorld2 1.16, so we're looking at ComputerCraft 1.54.

The overall credential system passes information back and forth from a server to any of a number of client applications on other computers - relatively "basic" problem that's been solved a hundred times over, I'm sure, but coding it myself is allowing me to get the hang of this LUA stuff. Somewhat.

I have a question about one program I was planning on adding, an application called CGClear Gates, which will effectively wrap various peripherals (right now computers only, but if I can wrap my head around it, some compatible openperipherals stuff as well), for the purpose of allowing credentialed users to toggle their redstone states - the applications are limited by imagination, but mostly I want this to provide a central control system for a number of physically-seperated systems in a much more elegant way than I could with pure redstone.

The question follows: is it possible for the computer equipped with CGClear Gates to have two seperate physical network connections, as in one network coming in from one side on one modem, and another completely distinct network coming in on the other side from its own modem?

I ask because an obvious vulnerability of Gates is that any computer on the main network could wrap the peripherals of the computer set up to use it if they're sharing the same network as the main credentials system, and I want to avoid that. The obvious solution would be a complete air-gap, but then Gates would need its OWN credentials system, with no good way of passing credentials data from the main network to Gates.

I know its not bug-hunting but I wanted to come to you guys for help with something OTHER than bad code. :P/>
Dragon53535 #2
Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:37 AM
Well, to answer your question. Yes. You can have up to 6 peripherals wrapped that are touching the computer since there's 6 sides, and they can all by modems, or even monitors or whatever. (The 6 peripherals are just for the 6 sides, i'm not counting modem connected peripherals) Now if you're looking to see that if one modems network somehow transfers to the other then that's incorrect, each modem is only able to see the parts it's attached to, as long as it's not connected by cable between the two modems.
Communeguy #3
Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:40 AM
Thank you, that is ideal. I found the information on the wiki to be ambiguous.
Edited on 26 November 2014 - 01:49 AM