This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
LupoCani's profile picture

Interdimensional communication

Started by LupoCani, 30 November 2014 - 02:57 PM
LupoCani #1
Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:57 PM
I'm currently looking to create a system that passes messages along between dimensions. This is not particularly difficult in itself, but I need to do it at high speed, preferably below a second for a message to arrive. Furthermore, although eavesdropping is tolerable, it must be nearly impossible do disrupt or alter the transmission.

I realize this is impossible with Cc tools alone, so any tools from the latest direwolf20 pack are acceptable. Furthermore, since this project is intended for server owners, any serverside modification that doesn't require clients to change anything on their end is acceptable as well. I'm not sure if this even counts as a Cc question, but seeing as it's the mod my problem is ultimately about, I figured this would be the most relevant forum.
KingofGamesYami #2
Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:31 PM
Generally, the way to do this with CC would be to get a disk drive, turtle, disk, and enderchest. The turtle checks the enderchest for disks, and when it finds one, puts it in the disk drive to read it. It gets complicated when you link more than one chest together, but that'd probably work. Ideally, I would have two colors of enderchest, linked in a circle, such that if the message was not meant for that turtle, it will place it in the opposite enderchest to continue the move. This will not be very efficient, nor fast, but I can't think of another way to do this.
Dragon53535 #3
Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:59 PM
Well since it's for the server owners, and i'm assuming you're a server owner. You can attempt to use Yami's disknet API. Which when you have two disks that are exactly the same (you have to go into creative and middle mouse click it to copy it) it allows you to read a file for changes, in essence sending a message. It was never really entirely working. But if you want to try and make it work, you probably could, given enough time, or Yami's help :P/>
Edited on 30 November 2014 - 04:00 PM
LupoCani #4
Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:50 PM
Generally, the way to do this with CC would be to get a disk drive, turtle, disk, and enderchest. The turtle checks the enderchest for disks, and when it finds one, puts it in the disk drive to read it. It gets complicated when you link more than one chest together, but that'd probably work. Ideally, I would have two colors of enderchest, linked in a circle, such that if the message was not meant for that turtle, it will place it in the opposite enderchest to continue the move. This will not be very efficient, nor fast, but I can't think of another way to do this.
That might be fast enough, but can't anyone with the right color combination hijack the connection?

Well since it's for the server owners, and i'm assuming you're a server owner. You can attempt to use Yami's disknet API. Which when you have two disks that are exactly the same (you have to go into creative and middle mouse click it to copy it) it allows you to read a file for changes, in essence sending a message. It was never really entirely working. But if you want to try and make it work, you probably could, given enough time, or Yami's help :P/>
Wait… regardless of how well the disknet API works, is that quantum-entanglement function of floppy disks part of default computercraft? If so, that's probably all I need to make this work, writing the software for it should be well within my capabilities.

Though, triggering might be an issue. Unlike wireless, this kind of signal won't fire an event. I could run the program in a tight loop to check for anything new, but isn't there some form of wireless trans-dimensional redstone that I could use if I only wanted to transmit a single bit?
Dragon53535 #5
Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:57 PM
Wait… regardless of how well the disknet API works, is that quantum-entanglement function of floppy disks part of default computercraft? If so, that's probably all I need to make this work, writing the software for it should be well within my capabilities.
Not unless you manually copy the floppy. Any two crafted floppies are always different, and unless you copy them using creative, will never have the exact same file space
LupoCani #6
Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:30 PM
Naturally disks are separate under normal conditions, I'm referring to creative-copied ones. And it would appear the answer is yes, disks are entangled when copied in creative, API or not. Thanks.