This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
KeeganDeathman's profile picture

Could this work?

Started by KeeganDeathman, 22 December 2014 - 06:22 AM
KeeganDeathman #1
Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:22 AM
I setup a money server system. See programs section to check it out.
On a server I run that uses the system, theres an apartment building, in the building is a restruant.
What I want is for the waiters to be able to bring customers a pocket computer with a program running(a modified standard money server client) that just has the waiter put in the price, and the paetron put in their account information.
However, I have noticed if I start filling out the form in one pocket computer, all other pocket computers in my inventory at least are affected. Could this make my idea impossible? I'm not sure if that's how it works, so that when the waiter gives the paetron the PDA, will the program still be running with the same information? Or will it be the same as the paetrons personal pocket computer.
If so, and the paetron sees there own OS/Files/Bleh, I'm screwed. I'd have to make a solid computer as a pay station, or have paetrons connect to the server and fill out the transfer form themselves. Which would open up many possibilities, false cost entered, not actually having paid, blah blah blah.
Help?
valithor #2
Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:35 AM
-snip

Any duplicated pocket computer will share the same screen. You could use a unduplicated pocket computer, and it "should" not share the same screen. You would just have to put the programs on all the computers a different way.
KeeganDeathman #3
Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:36 AM
Ooooh. That helps and also doesn't help because now I need to go through 14 pocket computers, install and run the registration program, then install the payment program, uggh.
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:51 AM
The files on a given system should be the same regardless as to who is viewing them. Changing the filesystem of one pocket computer should not change the filesystem of other pocket computers.

Note "should" - all CC 1.6x builds prior to 1.63 are bugged in this regard, indeed making pocket computers mostly unusable. If you're using something older than that, update before going any further. Even if up to date, computers generated by creative mode can potentially be "duplicates", leading to linked file systems.

Once you've got that sorted out, think about ways to ease the installation of your code. In particular, having your scripts listen for an incoming rednet message telling them to update themselves should make things a lot easier in the long run.
Edited on 22 December 2014 - 06:53 AM
KeeganDeathman #5
Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:54 PM
What?
I think I'll just setup a solid computer and disk drive. Have the files on the solid, and copy them to the pda in the disk drive.
That works right?
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:16 PM
Sure.