This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Schnuupi's profile picture

TIDS creation

Started by Schnuupi, 14 February 2015 - 10:22 PM
Schnuupi #1
Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:22 PM
I'm wondering how easy it would be to create a travel information display system or flight information display system (but for trains). Basically i'm making a forge server with traincraft, and I'm wanting to use computercraft to make monitors that show arrivals and departures, I know how to show stuff on a monitor, like text but nothing more than that, I'm not great with Lua been trying to learn for years its just something my brain cant understand…

Basically it would be, monitors around the station all showing the same stuff, and like have terminals at platforms/gates which just ask the person for Destination, which will show on the monitors, then just buttons or commands for enabling boarding, final call, closed etc, and Arrived for arrivals. I don't expect this to be easy and I don't want someone to make it for me, but I need a point in the starting direction.

I'll probably be able to figure out after getting so far with it.
HPWebcamAble #2
Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:31 AM
I think a single while loop with an os.pullEvent() could work.

You would need a function to display the same thing on more than one monitor

Other than that, you should probably try to write something and when you get stuck ask for help.
KingofGamesYami #3
Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:02 AM
If you are interested in buttons, specifically buttons on monitors, I suggest you use Lyqyd's touchpoint api (found in the API's and Utilities section). It drastically simplifies the necessary programming.

As for anything else, the first thing to do is find out what interactions are possible between CC and traincraft. I have no idea, since I've never used traincraft.

If it can trigger events, HPWebcamAble's suggestion will be of use. If it doesn't, you may have to repeatedly update your information.
Rougeminner #4
Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:31 AM
if you provide me with the details of your train craft server i would be glad to type the code out for you

I have run out of things to do :(/>
HPWebcamAble #5
Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:15 AM
Just did a bit of googling. There isn't a wiki for Traincraft yet (but its 3 years old?)

From what I saw, there is no direct CC interaction.

That means you would need to use detector rails, but I'm not sure if TC supports them.

Other than that, you might just have to manually tell the computer what is happening with the trains
When trains enter/exit stations, ect