This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Moonguy100's profile picture

Help with program?

Started by Moonguy100, 27 February 2015 - 05:54 PM
Moonguy100 #1
Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:54 PM
I want a password before anyone can do anything on the computer and want to make it so I can take words put them on the monitor. and to where it activates a redstone signal behind the computer. All while being able to go onto a floppy disk. After I enter the password to get onto the computer during startup can I be able to type one word to make all of these actions happen? Thank you! :D/>

I know how to password a Program but how do I password a computer. Ive tried to look up numerous things on this but only program passwords come up. Thanks
HPWebcamAble #2
Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:35 PM
I think this belongs in General, not Ask a Pro

Usually, Ask a Pro is where you ask questions about code that you already have

I stand corrected
Edited on 28 February 2015 - 12:53 AM
Lyqyd #3
Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:16 AM
No, General is where I throw requests to have programs written for them, this is a topic wherein the OP asks for advice on how to implement things.

Moonguy100, you'll be unable to completely lock down a computer with a password lock because a disk drive adjacent to the computer with a blank startup file on the floppy inside will bypass the computer's startup file, which gets around any password lock. You can create a program to display things on a monitor and set a redstone signal fairly easily, you'll want to look into the redstone API and the peripheral methods that monitors provide, both of which are documented on the wiki. There are also tutorials on the forums that can help you get started with those sorts of things.