This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
DannySMc's profile picture

Override Multishell?

Started by DannySMc, 30 April 2015 - 10:51 AM
DannySMc #1
Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:51 PM
How can I override shell in the startup file then redirect to a program?

I want to use my own version of multishell? But everytime I run it, it says it is already running, so I wish to override multishell and then run my own version?

Cheers,
Danny
Creator #2
Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:03 PM
You can bypass window api by using term.redirect(term.native())

As for multishell, use a modified version of shell.
DannySMc #3
Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:35 PM
eh?
Creator #4
Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:08 PM
What do you mean by own version of multishell?
DannySMc #5
Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:49 PM
What do you mean by own version of multishell?

I am editing a version of multishell so I can change it around and use it without the menu bar, so I need to stop multishell running by default, and then run mine instead… So it works with my OS? Therefore I need my OS to run in the top level coroutine, overwriting the multishell with mine?
Creator #6
Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:29 PM
I actually have no idea how to override the TLCO. Actually you can't since everything runs on top of shell. When you stop the shell, the system shutsdown/reboots
MKlegoman357 #7
Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:22 PM
There are a number of TLCOs on these forums.

Also, why do you want to remove the top menu bar? If it's gone then what's the usage of multishell? Multishell is basically the tabs. Without the GUI part you won't be able to properly manage the processes you run in multishell. If you only need the actual shell window then just use the not-modified 'shell' program. Multishell does not have a command line interface, it's only a coroutine manager.
DannySMc #8
Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:27 PM
There are a number of TLCOs on these forums.

Also, why do you want to remove the top menu bar? If it's gone then what's the usage of multishell? Multishell is basically the tabs. Without the GUI part you won't be able to properly manage the processes you run in multishell. If you only need the actual shell window then just use the not-modified 'shell' program. Multishell does not have a command line interface, it's only a coroutine manager.

I have got one now, and no it has a bar at the top which can be changed without using the menu bar using switchTab() etc, this is all I want to make my own and a few added extras because I asked someone for a multitasking manager but no one was able to help me enough to understand so I will modify multishell instead.
Bomb Bloke #9
Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:25 AM
Come to think of it, there's nothing in multishell that stops you from running multishell within multishell. Heck, I even took a screenshot of it doing just that, back when it was first introduced. Still works under the latest beta.

Perhaps we should see the problematic piece of code.
DannySMc #10
Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:12 AM
Come to think of it, there's nothing in multishell that stops you from running multishell within multishell. Heck, I even took a screenshot of it doing just that, back when it was first introduced. Still works under the latest beta.

Perhaps we should see the problematic piece of code.

No when I run it it says multishell is already running…
Bomb Bloke #11
Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:30 AM
Yes, so you've mentioned. But what I'm saying is that if I type "multishell" into CC 1.6, the first build to have it, I don't get that. And if I type "multishell" into CC 1.74pr20, the latest, I also don't get that.

So maybe you should provide some details about the environment you're working with. Heck, maybe even a complete copy of the error message - are you even sure that's coming from multishell?
DannySMc #12
Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:10 AM
Yes, so you've mentioned. But what I'm saying is that if I type "multishell" into CC 1.6, the first build to have it, I don't get that. And if I type "multishell" into CC 1.74pr20, the latest, I also don't get that.

So maybe you should provide some details about the environment you're working with. Heck, maybe even a complete copy of the error message - are you even sure that's coming from multishell?

Fair enough and no, when I edited the code to not display the menu the first time, but when I run the actual script it error'd saying it was already running… I just tired it and it isn't erroring which is good. I just really need a multitaskin script so I can just run programs in a coroutine