This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
diamondpumpkin's profile picture

How to turn on computers when chunks are loaded

Started by diamondpumpkin, 26 May 2015 - 09:53 PM
diamondpumpkin #1
Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:53 PM
I need my computer to turn on automatically turn on when the chunks are loaded. This used to happen in 1.6, but it doesn't in 1.7 CC.
Lupus590 #2
Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:11 AM
If you have other mods, perhaps something that can rightclick blocks? (autonomous activators from thermal expansion?)

This may reduce some costs with the above solution.
diamondpumpkin #3
Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:19 AM
Good thing I got thermal expansion! Thank you!
Lupus590 #4
Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:24 AM
I just did a quick test, have you labled the computers? and named a program startup? And had no problems

I named a simple script startup (which just got a turtle to spin) the turtle span after exiting and reloading the single player world (MC client was not closed)
Edited on 26 May 2015 - 10:27 PM
diamondpumpkin #5
Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:30 AM
I didn't label the computers, not sure how to do that.
But I did make a startup program.
Edited on 26 May 2015 - 10:30 PM
Lupus590 #6
Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:32 AM
in command prompt

label set <name>

you may want to try the label command without arguments too (prints usage)
id is another useful command relating to labels
Edited on 26 May 2015 - 10:32 PM
Lupus590 #7
Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:40 AM
We may have found a bug, doing some tests with spinning turtles.

CC 1.73

On world load with simple "while true spin" script (saved as startup on labelled turtle), after some time (lua loading?) turtle turns once and stops until rightclicked. When rightclicked, boots (screen was blank for a moment) and startup script runs.

Exiting the single player world and then going back (same MC client session), turtle keeps spinning.

Tested with second unlabelled turtle, exiting singleplayer world and going back in, unlabelled is still spinning.
Closing MC and restating and then rightclicking the unlabelled turtle makes it spin again

--script on both turtles
while true do
  turtle.turnRight()
  os.queueEvent("dud")
  os.pullEvent()
end
Edited on 26 May 2015 - 10:49 PM
Lyqyd #8
Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:00 AM
Go ahead and just post your bug report over there in a new topic. You might want to check the last paragraph before the code block, as you may have said "unlabeled" when you meant "labeled", I'm not sure.
Bomb Bloke #9
Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:19 AM
For what it may be worth, that script loads on startup for me without issues, regardless as to whether I simply close the world or restart the whole game. That goes for 1.73 as well as 1.74pr20.

Gotta be more to it than that.
Lupus590 #10
Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:22 AM
I was maxing out my CPU with non-mc stuff.

@lyqyd, I did mean unlabelled in the last paragraph, had to double check myself when I saw it.
InDieTasten #11
Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:07 AM
I don't know, whether this goes a little off-topic, but mods can interfere chunk loading logic. So when it comes to actual bug reports, you may want to check on plain ComputerCraft(MC + Forge + CC) too, since you've already mentioned thermal expansion as another mod you are running in the same session the problem appears.

Personally, I'm unfamiliar with 1.7 stuff and modpacks in general, but I like the thought, that having a Computer unloaded(regardless of id and/or present label), either by view distance or game quit, as it was running, it will boot up as soon as it's containing chunk is loaded again. I'm used to this, and I don't think this has ever changed? And I can't think of any features, that could potentially cause such anomalies.
Lupus590 #12
Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:02 AM
In my quick test, I was just using CC, but we are hijacking a thread here.
I'll start making a bug report in the bugs thread, we can talk there.

Edit: Made the thread in bugs http://www.computerc...p?/topic/23393-
Edited on 27 May 2015 - 09:41 AM