This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Hiran's profile picture

Interacting with game chat

Started by Hiran, 18 June 2015 - 03:41 PM
Hiran #1
Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:41 PM
Is there a way to read chat messages and send them?

MiscPeripheral had that chatbox block that would allow this, but i dont see anything similar in OpenPeripherals. I know about bridge and glasses, but they occupy precious armor slot.

If it's possible can someone provide basic explanation how to do this?
InDieTasten #2
Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:16 PM
TerminalGlasses allow for chatcommands, which just begin with 2 $ signs, like : "$$this is a command the computer can read, if I'm wearing my terminal glasses"
Theres also the wireless keyboard, although I don't have experience with it.

The commands will fire events at the computer connected to the bridge.

I don't think theres a way to read chat though. only these commands, which are not even displayed in the chat after being sent. The client or server(i don't know) filter them out, so that your personal commands are not flooding larger scale servers

You could potentially write your own plugin or mod to do that. You just need some kind of interaction between your plugin/mod and the computer. You just need to get some information flow working

I think it would be hilarious to have that working via a chest. like your mod would place certain items to a certain chest your computer reads via openperipherals. The contents of the chest then form the data you want to send :D/>
Edited on 18 June 2015 - 04:14 PM
Hiran #3
Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:51 PM
So reading wont happen :/

And what about sending?
Basically what i wanted to do is "Hide your ass or you will burn" notification, because im playing as vampire (Witchery). I know that i can observe sun position, but I wanted to have it really precise. I automated "Ritual of Total Eclipse" so just bind these 2 things and i don't have to worry about anything.
Lignum #4
Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:40 PM
Take a look at the chat boxes from MoarPeripherals. They can read and send as well as do some other nifty things.
jjjhfam #5
Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:00 PM
Peripherals++ is also a good mod to take a look at.