This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cjburkey01's profile picture

Computer Craft Check Door

Started by cjburkey01, 20 July 2015 - 07:53 PM
cjburkey01 #1
Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:53 PM
Hello!
I would like to know of there is a way to check if a door next to a computer is open or closed by that computer. If not, is there a solution in Open Peripherals or Open Computers?
KingofGamesYami #2
Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:34 PM
Well, you could check the output by using

redstone.getOutput(side)

It will return true if the computer is emitting a redstone signal on the given side, false if it is not.
cjburkey01 #3
Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

redstone.getOutput(side)

It will return true if the computer is emitting a redstone signal on the given side, false if it is not.

Thank you for the reply, but I wanted to just check the door, the user will open the door. I'm trying to work on an alarm system.
HPWebcamAble #4
Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

redstone.getOutput(side)

Thank you for the reply, but I wanted to just check the door, the user will open the door. I'm trying to work on an alarm system.

A turtle may be able to use 'turtle.inspect' to get the metadata for the door
O.S #5
Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:19 AM
Not that I know of with a computer, but with a turtle you can use inspect().

Say you have a set up like this:
!_<
With the door ( _ ) on the south edge of the block and the turtle ( < ) facing the door to the east and a lever ( ! ) on the west side.

Running turtle.inspect() returns

true
{
   name = "minecraft:wooden_door",
   metadata = 7,
}

If you flip the lever and call it again, you get:

true
{
   metadata = 3,
}

Now, two points:
  1. Those metadata values will change based on the way the door faces, so you'll need to experiment.
  2. This only seems to work with doors opened by redstone, opening it by hand and calling the function seems to cause a block update of some sort causing the door to close and the "closed" metadata value to be returned. The turtle never 'sees' the door as open. So this would probably only work for your purpose with a iron door.

That said, if you're using a redstone signal to open/close the door, you can just use a regular computer to read that signal with redstone.getOutput(side).
Edited on 21 July 2015 - 04:30 AM
cjburkey01 #6
Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:15 PM
Not that I know of with a computer, but with a turtle you can use inspect().

Say you have a set up like this:
!_<
With the door ( _ ) on the south edge of the block and the turtle ( < ) facing the door to the east and a lever ( ! ) on the west side.

Running turtle.inspect() returns

true
{
   metadata = 7,
}

If you flip the lever and call it again, you get:

true
{
   metadata = 3,
}

Now, two points:
  1. Those metadata values will change based on the way the door faces, so you'll need to experiment.
  2. This only seems to work with doors opened by redstone, opening it by hand and calling the function seems to cause a block update of some sort causing the door to close and the "closed" metadata value to be returned. The turtle never 'sees' the door as open. So this would probably only work for your purpose with a iron door.

That said, if you're using a redstone signal to open/close the door, you can just use a regular computer to read that signal with redstone.getOutput(side).
Hm, Not totally what I wanted, but may have to use it.
Have you used OpenComputers or OpenPeripherals?
O.S #7
Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:12 AM
Goodluck. Sorry I couldn't provide what you wanted. :(/>

Neither, I'm afraid. My current project I'm trying to keep entirely Vanilla CC.
Dragon53535 #8
Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:49 AM
Short of the turtle approach, if you do just add a button, you can get the input with

rs.getInput("side")
true is on, false is off. So if you have it setup right, you can detect the changes with that, but only if a button or whatnot is used.
LuckyLuke #9
Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:14 PM
You can try to use that:

side = "right" -- Change to the side of you Door

if redstone.getInput(side) then
-- Do stuff here
end

In Order with a loop you can check the status every X Ticks :)/>